Old Photo - Stripped On The Side Of The Road Oct. 12 1919

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Stripped On The Side Of The Road Oct. 12 1919
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rik Van on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:03 am:

ew she has a beard.....what are those pods above the spring? are they shocks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:21 am:

Rik,

Yes, those are accessory shock absorbers. I looked but I didn't find an advertisement that was a good match for them. When Jay publishes his book on accessories, we will be able to look them up quickly!

Note it appears that they change out the front spring perches. Some accessory shocks swap the original Ford perches side to side and turn them around. Others replace the Ford spring perch with their own part. If that replacement part fails (or the original Ford part fails due to being worn out) you will most likely have a loss of steering.

The car also appears to have the horn button on the top left side of the steering column (i.e. towards the false driver's door). That is a typical later 1915 to 1917 item.

it looks to me like they have the later 1917-1922 style windshield to body bracket. Instead of the 1915-early 1917 "D" shaped cowl lamp mounts it appears to have the later 1917 - 1922 style that are more rounded as they come back to the windshield.

The hood former is a 1915-1916 only model year part.

The headlamps look larger to me than the standard 1915-1925 stem mounted lamps. That may be because the fenders are gone or could it be because they might be the very early 1915 lamps that were just a little larger. See: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/hl13.htm

With an Oct 1919 date on the photo a 1915 or 1916 would only be a 4 or 3 year old car. I don't think all four fenders would have been damaged at the same time. So I suspect they might be "modernizing it." It might become a speedster (that would be expensive for a 3 or 4 year old car. Or they might be replacing the earlier style fenders with newer crowned style fenders? A photo six months later would let us know what really happened.

As always, thank you Jay and others for posting the early photos.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Those shocks look like this brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Nice find Dan. Those were made early for above axle wishbones. I wonder if they were revised for the later below axle wishbones.

It is also interesting to me that the wheels look to be painted a lighter color.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Rich

Think is T is undergoing an 'update'. If the plate and printed 1919 are true, this T is a '15 or '16.

Painted wheels are awaiting a set of crowned accessory fenders! That brass radiator has been already painted black...the latest trends :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Beware of some after market parts.

Some of you may remember reading this:

"The tire and tube separated from the wheel. The perch that broke was the passenger side. The wishbone did not cause the accident and was still attached to the spring since the perch snapped off exactly even with the top surface of the axle leaving the spring and wishbone still fastened together by the upper portion of the perch. While we searched high and low to find a matching accessory perch, none surface until _________. A front axle donated to me by its owner at that time has the exact same accessory perches on them. Another fellow also found a single one loose that had been welded back together having separated in the EXACT same place long ago but rewelded. _______ _____ wrote an article about early repro parts and their risks and it published recently in the MTFCI magazine Model T Times. Most of my chapter were in the cars immediately behind ____ and witnessed the accident although only the car immediately behind got a good look.

I don't think a steering stabilizer would have stopped the accident since clearly these were a dangerous after-market perch prone to breaking. We only have seen 2-1/2 sets (5 perches) with solid evidence now that 2 of them had broken. I will not sell the axle but am considering destroying the perches to prevent someone from ever putting them on a T.
"

From one of the past Forum posts.

I did intentionally leave out names....Dave

(Message edited by adave on February 13, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

The star on the license plate signifies a WWI Vet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

The Star is just one of the years of a California license plate, as that is on a pair of 1919 plates.

My 1919 Touring has year of Manufacture plates(1919) and my kid found a set of '19 in a garbage can
California had a Star , a poppy and I think a Bear
in certain years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

The Bell was the other one in the series.
Califunny used the same blue on white porcelain plate for four years.
Bear was 1916.
Poppy was 1917.
Liberty Bell was 1918.
Star was 1919.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration