Wishbone Wall Thickness

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wishbone Wall Thickness
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:38 am:

Greetings All,

I am hoping that someone out there in T land would share the wall thickness of the front radius rod tube. I am not finding that info anywhere and don't want to cut one open to measure it. Thanks in advance, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:17 am:

I have cut a few of them apart for various reasons and repairs. What I know. The thickness varies from front to back, thicker in the back if I remember correctly.
Earlier type over-the-axle wishbones are thinner material than the under-the-axle wishbones. The early ones therefore bend easily, which contributes to their notorious instability.
The common later type also seem to vary somewhat in thickness. I do not know if specific changes were made over the years or what? Maybe one of our esteemed researchers can enlighten us on this. Maybe tomorrow in the daylight I can find a few of my wishbone pieces in the parts piles and get a quick measure.
If a quick guess would help quicker? I would guess the variation to be above and below about 3/16 inch thick. But don't count too heavily on my failing memory.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 09:25 am:

The 1916 drawing calls for the tubing to be 1/8" thick. This was continued from at least the year before. There were slight changes being made almost constantly; I have that information in the complete set of the Releases and will try to look it up. The Ford script was added in May of '16, FWIW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 10:56 am:

I have a cut wishbone in the stash, looks like the 1920-25 style. It measures 0.15" or 5/32" thick at the cut near the ball in the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Thank you all for your input and your time. This is just what I needed. Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration