OT - Fire extinguisher recall

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Fire extinguisher recall
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 01:09 am:

Kidde is recalling about 4.8 million home fire extinguishers made in 2013 and 2014. Since I keep fire extinguishers in both my Model T's, 2 in my motor home and several in my home I felt that this is a timely topic for safety. I found 2 of mine on the recall list. As I understand Kidde is sending me 2 new ones free.
To check this out go on line to

http://www.kidde.com

To read the news link go to

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Kidde-Recalls-Disposable-Plastic-Fire-Exting uishers/

Thanks
Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:08 am:

I have never recommended anyone buy a plastic head fire extinguisher unless it was absolutely the only one they could possibly afford. Only slightly better than having none. My opinion guys but with a bit of experience and knowledge.

The Kidde brand is also not one of my favorite brands.

Luckily it reads like no one was injured when trying to use one or had the head blow off like in the trunk of their car on a hot day with some rough road driving. Think worse than Tule fog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 09:16 am:

A great many current products are next to worthless because they contain vital parts made of plastic, which inevitably becomes brittle and goes to pieces. One example is lawn sprinklers. The most expensive one I found in stores was mostly very solid metal, making it costly, but the mechanism that makes it work was made of plastic parts, making it high-priced junk. This is one reason I buy a lot of things at estate sales and farm auctions. Older products are often much better made than the current versions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

All fire extinguishers have a set life. Commercial units must be inspected every year and must be emptied, pressure tested and refilled every seven years. As I understand, this is federal law, but I may be wrong. The smaller units with metal heads can be refilled but the cost is usually on par with a new one. Kidde says that their home extinguishers must be replaced every 12 years. To me that is way to long as the powder inside can settle and compact in that time and make the extinguisher useless when you need it the most. Been there done that.
I turn my extinguishers over at least once a year and smack the bottom with a rubber hammer to loosen the powder. I replace my extinguishers about every 7 years.
These are recommendations of the company that takes care of my commercial extinguishers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration