TBay overseas shipping & duty trap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: TBay overseas shipping & duty trap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 10:59 am:

A lot of sellers, esp in US, can't be bothered with overseas shipping - calculating rates, customs forms etc. So eBay had the bright idea of Global Shipping. The seller sends the goods to a depot at domestic rates, Paypal reimburses the price of the goods and postage. eBay bills the buyer for the goods and overseas shipping and despatches the goods. So far, so good.

But I just bought a $250 item for my flathead coupe. Shipping quoted at $53, that's OK, but they also billed me $113 for import duty - 'we guarantee no further charges on receipt' But they didn't show the calculation and offered no opt-out.

In my experience, import duty is a lottery - sometimes I get charged, sometimes not. If marked as 'Used antique auto part'. often not.

The seller couldn't work out how to change it, so I got it sent to a forwarding agent. Shipping & handling charges was about $55 and it arrived by Fedex with NO duty to pay.

If I'd gone with eBay, they would have pocketed my $113. Harrumph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Ebays Global Shipping program is a joke, and as a full time seller on there, I refuse to use it. I never even opted in for it. I have never been bothered by shipping overseas, and its so easy to do! Its already a piece of cake with the regular ebay shipping label printing service! I do not know why ebays program even came into existence, and I always hear of horror stories about it. Anything from too high of rates, to packages getting lost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 11:14 am:

There's always somebody out there ready to pick your pocket if your not watching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 11:15 am:

I checked yesterday at Fasten all learned from a post here they will send from one to another for a far less rate then common carriers on heavy parts as long as it can be put on a pallet. Not out of the USA but its true.
One cost postal boxes no mater what the weight is fast and reasonable.
I will not use UPS anymore. Sent clutch plates to Canada marked Vintage clutch plates there was not an import duty charged

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

I have sold on eBay for over a decade and have never had an issue with shipping overseas, some of my best sales have been to people overseas. I just feel bad for the buyer when that high International shipping price comes up (even using Flat Rate Boxes).

There is no extra time or effort in shipping overseas more than filling out a Customs Form, and that takes about a minute. The eBay Global Shipping Program is an absolute rip-off/joke and should not be used. For shipping overseas for me it is the USPS all the way, and I have never had a problem getting stuff through the Royal Mail or Canada Post either.

The sellers that won't ship overseas are generally the same ones that won't ship to Alaska or Hawaii because it "costs more to ship there" and they don't need "the hassle" of the extra work. The last time I checked Alaska and Hawaii are both part of the United States and a Flat Rate Box is good for the entire United States.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

I've been selling on ebay since it was invented and have shipped stuff all over the world. Never had a problem. I have never used their Global shipping thing, but have read enough horror stories about it that I will never use it and I always opt out of it when posting a listing. The old way wasn't broken so I don't plan on fixing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

What I dont like is every time I list a item,I have to make sure I clic the check mark out of the box. They default to it being on your listing.So you have to be careful.
What about the tracking numbers on overseas shipments?I understand they dont work once it leave our side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Jem:
export sales and shipping are simple for the seller here in the US ...our export documents are simple and brief ...pay-pal makes payment simple and reliable ...no reason for a seller not to do business in export sale of items that are easily shipped using the USPS international priority mail service ...larger items that require special arrangements and handling can be an issue ...also some regions of the world may require excessive insurance (if available)...all my items can be shipped using usps ...no problem or need to add "extra" charges here ! also you can go to www.usps.com and get a good idea of postage and insurance charges if you have an idea of package size and weight ...also my small rural post office appreciates the large postage amounts used on international packages (they are on 1/2 duty due to post office cost cutting) regards gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

My only eBay buying experience was a purchase from the USA. I thought the Global Shipping Program sounded good because I knew up front how much the shipping and duty was going to cost me. This seemed to be a good setup since packages entering Spain are being notoriously held back for customs duty and can take from 30 to 60 days to clear customs.

Well, all three different concepts;
-purchase price
-shipping
-import duty
appear on my VISA with different exchange rates. Very strange and smacks of someone padding their pockets.

I don't plan on using eBay again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration