How Often Should One Oil Open Valve Lifters?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How Often Should One Oil Open Valve Lifters?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

OK Its a non Ford 4 cylinder engine that appears very much like a Model N engine. How far -in distance- should one go between lifter oilings? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

I don't have my '10 manual handy but I seem to recall it called for daily oiling of the open valve train but I think that is because of the dirt roads they drove on and it was as much to flush away the dirt as it was to lubricate. Today, I find that when the engine is new and tight I oil them every 50 miles or so and when they get worn in I don't have to do it at all as enough oil finds its way without assistance. On the last engine I did I used oilite bronze for the guides and they are maintenance free from the git-go. The only draw back there might be that they will wear faster but only time will tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

OK Thanks Val. Every 50 miles sounds reasonable. The engine is a new rebuild and somewhat tight. Because it's not even 17 HP , I'm scared to drive it on most roads. I'll abide by that 50 mile interval

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

George, I run my 15 hp Autocar on the streets without a problem. You just have to pick your streets although I do not use it regularly like my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Now we're curious what kind of brass car you've restored? Please share pictures if possible :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

George,

I have never oiled the lifters on my Model N, except when I first installed them. Enough oil gets thrown around inside the crankcase that it actually causes oil to leak out around the lifters and run down the sides of the engine. The same is true of my 1912 Overland, with open lifters. There's always a wipe-up after a drive. Neither car has worn out lifter guides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Yeah George H! You know how us crazies like to know what others are driving around and working on! Pictures would be nice (hint, hint). Similar to a T four cylinder made me wonder about about Metz, but only 17 HP Lets that one out.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:28 am:

George,
If it's '08 or older, bring it up to Minnesota in August for the New London to New Brighton Antique Car Run. You might feel a little more bold when you run with a pack.

I drive my T's and Maxwell all over the place. I just avoid main roads. The scenery is better on the less traveled roads anyway.

http://antiquecarrun.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

From all the ones I've seen, they pretty much seem to oil themselves!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Finally! I just learned how to move pics from my phone, resize them and enter here. Its a 1911 Hupp roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

And here is a pic of the engine that appears to me like a Ford Model N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

That is a nice looking Hupmobile!
Very nice indeed!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy it! W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration