Foot pound of torque

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Foot pound of torque
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Torsten Lampe on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Hello everybody,
Im in the process of reassembling my 1922 Tourer (with a `26 engine).Yes, I do have a couple handbooks, but none says anything about torqueing nuts and bolts. E.g.the torque for the connecting rods or main bearings.
Is there a list or a booklet with these information out there?
Thank you,
greetings from Torsten

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Ford did not publish torque specs for their fasteners in the Model T days. I'm sure some of the more experienced members will chime in with their recommendations. I believe that Mike Bender mentions many of the torque values that he uses in some of his great engine videos:

http://modelt-tips.com/Engine/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Torsten,

The torque values for the head bolts are really the only important ones. Head bolts are usually torqued to 50 ft-lbs.

Rods & mains could probably go to 20/25 ft-lbs. (Some have stripped the bolts trying to go to 35.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Torsten Lampe on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Thank you Mark, very good info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Torsten Lampe on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

That's very nice, Jerry, thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

And 75 pounds feet on the rear axle pinion nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Torsten Lampe on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:21 am:

Thank you Tony :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:32 am:

100 ft-lbs on the rear axle nut, if the threads are good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Except for drive shaft and rear axle nuts I have stopped using torque values and use original Ford wrenches. Or; about 30-35 rods, 80 mains, 45-50 head, 80 drive shaft nut and 90-100 axle nut. Any nut that does not line up, slots and hole for cotter pin, grind a little off till it lines up at torque or swap them around till they do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Torsten Lampe - Altwittenbek, Germany on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

Thanks, I will create a list for all

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration