Brake lining

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brake lining
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fritz Hady Mt. Top,Pa. on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Where do you buy lining for rocky mtn brakes,I built my own out of trans.bands,small drum and I can't find lining in my catalog. Thanks, Fritz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Chaffin's Garage or McMaster-Carr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

McMaster-Carr woven metalic works very well

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brake-lining/=vway4x

You buy it by the foot. Very reasonable pricing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

You will need a good length, with the 12" drums you need six (6) feet. I replaced the lining on my Coupe after nearly 40 years of service...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Could you use this material for the emergency brake lining on the interior brake band for a 26/27 model t? If so which type would be best? Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:05 am:

John, you don't want any wowen metallic inside the transmission. Go with a wood or Kevlar band for the transmission brake.
For the emergency brake McMaster Carr may have something that works, though I guess the lining from the vendors should be just as good. If the lining you find is just a bit too thick, you'll have a lot of trouble grinding it down to fit.. You'll want the lining to be less than 3/16", more like 5/32" thick to be an easy fit in 26/27 drums.

(Message edited by Roger K on February 15, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:07 am:

John, I have torn down some tranys with this type band material, seemed to be hard on the drums. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 11:23 am:

I should have explained better but thanks for the replies. I should have said the rear drum emergency brakes interior, since we were talking about Rocky Mountain type brake linings. I have several (6 sets) to do and thought this would be a more frugal way to gain a quality outcome than buying 6 sets from the venders. Thanks again it's this type of help from the combine wealth of experience representative by each of you that makes our hobby viable. So now the question remains although reframed a bit.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration