How much voltage question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How much voltage question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

If a car is using standard T coils but running off of a 12 volt battery, how much voltage is coming out of the coil to fire the plug? I know it made me fly about 12 inches backward, but was wondering what kind of actual numbers we are talking about.

I don't remember household current hurting that much.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Depending upon the coil and how it is adjusted approximately 8K-10K volts.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Holy moly. No wonder it hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Erich, everything else being equal, the amount of voltage a coil will put out is a function of how much the coil's secondary is loaded. If the secondary were fully loaded (i.e. shorted out), the coil would have zero volts at the secondary. If the secondary were totally unloaded (no connection) there would be as much voltage at the secondary as the coil was able to produce, as Ron said above, maybe 8K to 10K volts. If you were touching the coil secondary, it would be somewhat loaded, so I would guess several hundred volts would be present.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

I was checking the ignition system with the crank in one hand and a screwdriver in the other. The car was in a moist area and the coils were swelled enough that they didn't want to come out. So I was checking at least for what kind of spark each coil would make. I did fine until I rested a finger on the shaft of the screw driver. I felt the voltage go in that hand and out the crank handle hand. I was trying to be so careful and still got bit. No harm done, but such a great reminder. Wont do that again for a while.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

P.S. Tom, I'll be in Spokane next week so will stop in at the antique auto ranch in case there are any T parts that want to go home with me.......

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration