Old Photo -Early Brass Era Ford Dealership & Used Car Sales

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo -Early Brass Era Ford Dealership & Used Car Sales
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:48 am:

The first car on your left looks like an Autocar circa 1904, but there were a few other cars that were quite similar.
The one behind, I can't see enough of to begin to guess.
Next looks like a 1903 to '04 Ford runabout.
Next, almost looks like a Knox, except that most early Knox automobiles of that era were tiller steered. This car has a steering wheel. The body style was used by a few other companies, however.
I cannot see enough of the last car either.

I would love to have any of them.
Thanks again Jay!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:40 am:

Jay,

Thank you and others for posting all the great old photos.

Note the words in the top center of the sign:

WORLDS RECORD
MILE 39 1/? SECONDS
JAN 12 / 04

That sign is in reference to Henry Ford setting the land speed record of 91.37 mph (1 mile in 39.40024… seconds) in the 999 on the ice at Lake St Clair on Jan 12, 1904. That record was broken in less than a month but it was still a great advertising claim for a while. But that clearly dates the photo after the record was set on Jan 12, 1904. (Possibly the same day with a very busy sign painter, but more likely put up within a week or so). [Ref: http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/henry-ford-sets-speed-record ] I cannot make out if they had 1/3 or 1/2 but it should be one of those as it was 39.4 seconds and they didn’t have a 2/5 but a 1 over something.

Wayne -- The Model A Ford in the center of the photo appears to be the 1904 version with the larger 6 x 3 tube radiator rather than the earlier 1903 with the smaller 4 x 4 tube radiator (ref page 8 of Chapter 9 "Pate's early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia." The photo is also on page 11 chapter 5 in "Pate's Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia" [available from the club and vendors]. There it has the caption, "Atlas Automobile Company, Pittsburg, PA in 1904 -- from the collections of the 'The Henry Ford - P.188.9887' " But he did not indentify the other cars.

If anyone knows the other cars for sure – they could send that information to the Benson Ford Archives and they could add that to any other information that have with that photo.

Again, thank you so much for posting the great photo!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Nice, easy restoration projects: Add gas, lube, check oil & water, clean windshield, crank 'er up.

I'll take them all.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:41 am:

I think the last cars is an Oldsmobile. It's hard to see the curve in dash at this angle but the tiller steering and front spring look like it.

It is great to see a photo that early.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william schaller on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:47 am:

and, the machine shop has a skate grinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

I couldn't figure out what was behind the utility pole, but that makes sense. Must be somewhere in the north. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

That Mail Pouch Tobacco sign apparently predates the era of the barn painters:

http://www.mailpouchbarnstormers.org/index.php/history

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

Dick,

Clean what windshield? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

Prior thread that includes a clearer version of same photo with a link to The Old Motor who in turn borrowed it from the Henry Ford Museum. Says was taken in PIttsburgh:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/355408.html?1366168169

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=73093

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

There goes the Olds theory (behind the pole). No curve. Maybe a Locomobile. Thanks Erik.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

To elaborate on what someone posted on the Old Motor website: although it is obscured, the second car to the left does look like it could be an 1899 or 1900 Waverley Electric Stanhope, especially due to the height of the dash compared to the man standing in front of it. I would need to have the original print in my hand and a magnifying to see additional details.

My dad has a 1900 Waverley Electric "Dos a Dos" and I am very familiar with 1899 and 1900 Waverleys. I have seen the 1899 Waverley Stanhope that is at the Auburn Duesenberg Cord Museum and my dad has taken many photographs of that particular car in over the years.

1899 Waverley at the ACD Museum in Auburn, Indiana (borrowed from the internet):

Page scanned from 1899 Waverley Catalog in my dad's collection - note price has been updated for 1900.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration