OT Cold Temp Warninig Light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Cold Temp Warninig Light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Gonna get real cold the next few nights and the wife's dog kennel is a bit far from the house for a remote thermometer to work so I rigged a warning light (to set in a window) so we could see if the space heater quit. I took an old electric blanket controller, cut off the plug to the blanket and wired the controller to a lamp. Works great. Now to make one for the work shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Gary, if you're talking about a heater in the kennel for the dog, while that's a noble gesture, maybe you should just bring him/her inside for the duration of this very dangerous cold spell? Here's how our dog endures the cold! Well, I tried twice to straighten this pic out..and it won't! Sorry, you'll just have to exercise your neck I guess!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:54 am:

You mean like this? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Here you go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Fourteen minutes late, Jay! Must be the time difference between Missouri and California... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Thanks guys!! Dang, how'd you do that? I even turned my original pic in my files "over" one notch thinking it'd take care of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:36 am:

".. Wife's dog kennel ..."

Let your wife sleep with you in the bedroom. It'll do you both good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Gary, just had another thought (take me a while to remember to post it) while I was out to the barn bringing in another wheelbarrow load of firewood...your idea of the light is great, but lets say the heater craps out at 2 a.m. when it's 6 below zero, you're asleep...you might not notice it until daybreak? By then the dog(s) could freeze to death. JMHO from an astute dog lover/spoiler!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Have you guys ever seen how the dogs sleep during the Iditarod? A flake of straw is plenty. Sometimes they're covered with snow with only a breathing hole when they wake up. Of course, they're a little tougher than the dogs here.

If you're not familiar with the Iditarod, here are a few links. It truly is the last great race.

http://iditarod.com/

http://iditarod.com/race/2015/mushers/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/02/11/iditarod-race-alaska-snow-fairb anks/23247145/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Yes Dick, But mine picture is bigger! :-)

Honestly though, there was no picture when I read your post, that's why I added one. I guess photo uploads are on a time delay today. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:22 am:

I think the globe has tilted. It is more like early fall here than like winter. I wish we could tilt it back, but man really doesn't control the weather regardless of Al Gore! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Norman, Here's Al Gore's Positive proof of "Global Warming":-)

And here's Al Gore getting ready to take a shower.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Gary, your idea is a good one. A few could put it to good use around here in their well houses. They don't build those milk house heaters to be real reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

It's the Wife's DOG kennel not her kennel.
She is a hobby breeder and used to show dogs before her hip replacement. The kennel is heated and cooled, has running water and set up with play areas and outdoor runs during better weather. The controller is set for about 50 degrees so there is plenty of time to notice a low temp before anyone freezes. The light can be seen in the daytime and as she is a light sleeper is up several times during the night due to the hip replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Hey Norm, Don't you mean Summer? Was nearly 90 degrees here on the coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Fred naturally I don't know what kind of dog(s) Gary has, and I agree with you about Iditarod dogs, but then, they're the exception. They're bred for cold, and tougher like you said. And yes, that is truly a fantastic race! I don't know how they (dogs & humans) can do it! We've domesticated so many breeds now, we've made it so they can't stand cold weather, even if they do have fur. I've always said, if you want to see how that dog feels out in sub freezing weather, then go ahead and put a coat on and sit out in it for 6 hours and see how long you last. Same thing with a dog. Just my two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Tim, don't know what Jay did, but I used Paintshop Pro to rotate the picture 90 degrees to the right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Dick, I used IRFAN it's free, Google it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

About 17 years ago, and a day into the race, I stayed at the hotel in Anchorage which was the HQ for the Iditarod. Cessnas on skis were landing on frozen Lake Spenard to bring in injured dogs. I was amazed at how small the dogs were.

They had to move the route way north this year for lack of snow.

Ever been to the visitor center at Portage Glacier, just south of Anchorage? 17 years ago you could barely see the glacier in the distance. The visitor center was built at the foot of the glacier some years before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

On the advice of a knowledgeable friend some years ago, I went on ebay and found an old version of Paintshop Pro - Version 8 at a time when the current version was 9 or 10, as I recall. Has more bells and whistles than I will ever understand and it cost me about $10.00 (instead of the $100+ that the then-current version would have been).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration