A fancy new hubcap polishing jig

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A fancy new hubcap polishing jig
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:38 am:

I can be a little awkward polishing the hubcap on the car, and it can be a little awkward holding it with one hand and polishing with the other.

So put it on a hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:53 am:

Ahh, Steve, if you left them on the car, and did a shoe shine style rag buff on them (over and under), wouldn't that be easy? That's what I do on mine, of course they're not brass, they're nickel. But polishing is work no matter how you do it, might as well take the easiest way. And somehow, removing them, then polishing them and then having to put them back on, just seems to me to be more work than necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:02 am:

Put it on jack stands start it up and let the engine do the work then switch the front caps to the back.

If you have a lathe, turn down a piece of wood so you can slide the cap on it tight enough so it does not spin and polish away.

Get an old hub chuck in a lathe or rig something for a drill press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

It looks like someone shined that hub cap with a wire wheel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

"awkward polishing the hubcap on the car"

Not quite the proper thing to do nowadays but all you need is 4 rags and 4 kids to run alongside yer car while you putter down the driveway a few times!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Get the wife to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes it much easier for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Steve, I use the wood dowel in the lathe approach (see Mikes comments). If set up that way, one can use finer and finer paper grits to get rid of the scratches and pits, then finish with polishing compound to a mirror finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

I hope no one asks what kind of polish is the best to use on that cap.

Good ideas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Like that'll ever happen in this house Tom!! LOL

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration