Old Photo - Brass Era - Lady Giving A Roadside Hand To Fixing A Flat Tire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Brass Era - Lady Giving A Roadside Hand To Fixing A Flat Tire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:34 am:

And Iaaahh halped!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:35 am:

If you can't fix it yourself you should not be driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Next they will want to vote!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:16 am:

The pose of the people and the clarity is Phenomenal in that picture. I can't quite read the serial number on the Ford plaque but everything else is absolutely stunning.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Jay, great photo thank you for posting it.

Richard -- On the original you might be able to tell more about the ID Patent plate and perhaps even read the serial number which for the 1909 & 1910 USA Ts matched the engine number. But even though we cannot read the ID patent plate I believe we can tell that it is the late 1909 to 1911 style rather than the earlier 1909 style that did not have the panel for the serial number at the bottom. Also, to me the earlier patent plates were closer to a square than the later ones. (Ref page 24 of Gail Rodda’s “Model T Ford Parts Identification Guide” vol 2).

Note the radiator still has the low filler neck and does not have the reinforcing bar where it mounts to the frame.
So “IF” the ID patent plate is the late 1909 style then that would date the car between late 1909 and mid year 1910 (Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm#rad )

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

I would agree Hap. The top irons are not dog-legged.

I assume the picture was carefully posed and not happenstance. The seat bottom sitting on the folded top and the lap robes on the seat give it credibility. I was interested in seeing the tail light mounted so high.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Richard,

I agree with you that the two women and the man are posing for the camera. I.e. they know they need to be still or it will be blurred on the photo, I think the flat tire was for real. Funny, I still think hand cranking a T is more fun than using the starter (ok – on a properly tuned T so that it won’t kick back if I remember to retard the spark and one that will start easily…). But there is no way I would take the clincher off the rim just to stage a photograph. Ok if they paid me to do it for a publicity shot etc. maybe. But even then I would recommend just let the air out so it looks flat…. While changing a clincher is very “doable” it is clearly not “one of my favorite things” as the Sound of Music would put it. Below I have zoomed in a little more on that area and added some labels. I think if you look at it again, you will see the driver’s side rear wheel does not have a tire on it. Or if most of the folks see a tire on the driver’s side rear wheel, then once again my eyes are playing tricks on me. Of course that is nothing new. I can look at any rusty Model T and see a potential Stynoski winner somewhere under that rust….

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration