Old Photo - Street Scene - Buick Plant At Noon Hour, Flint Michigan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Street Scene - Buick Plant At Noon Hour, Flint Michigan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

My Grandfather worked at the Buick in the 1920s. In the 60s he continued to call all non-Buicks, foreign cars.
I remember him parallel parking his 1958 Roadmaster 75. He banged into the car in back and then banged into the car in front and I asked why he did that. He said that's what bumpers were for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Steve, Your story of your grandfather reminds me of this cartoon.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

That's the same way my mom use to park, even in parking lots. She would go till she bumped the car in front & back. She always said, that's why they put bumpers on cars!

We were the only car in 2007 that "still" used curb feelers. My mom always rubbed off the hubcaps on curbs, and rubbed the garage opening with the car. She always said she wouldn't do it, if we would put them darn feelers back on.(after she rubbed them off again)

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 04:50 am:

My wife calls this "parking by Braille".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 05:58 am:

Jay, my great uncle Howard Sole worked for Chalmers after emmigrating from Toronto to Detroit in the teens. The most vivid memory he would relate to me about working there was that before installing the engines in cars, they were run-in on natural gas. While setting the valves the workers would get a real "buzz" off the exhaust fumes.

He was a Buick dealer in Des Moines, Iowa from the thirties through the fifties or sixties. I never did visit the dealership at 401 Grand Avenue, but it looks to be a Domino's Pizza place currently by the picture on Google maps.

My dad worked for Ford for most of his life and after he opened a dealership in 1965, from then on my grandad had to keep a Buick and a Ford in his garage to keep both his brother and his son happy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

Bumping a car today can cause $300 to $2,000 in damage. It's a felony if you just drive away and has been known to start fights down here. People that do it are the bottom feeders of society or have no license or insurance. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration