Do you think its possible to spend a hundred thousand dollars on model t 1924

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Do you think its possible to spend a hundred thousand dollars on model t 1924
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Do you think its possible to spend a hundred thousand dollars restoring a 1924 Model T ?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/model_t/1693827.html

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Possible - sure if you really want to be that foolish and have very deep pockets. Likely - No but would you really expect the truth from the dealer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

I'm with Walt. Possible, but I am sure that you could get the same job for much less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Not unless you were severely overcharged for any work you had done. Of course some people think there time is worth gold. Another thing why would you want to spend that much money on a 24T when you could probably put everything on it new for less than 25K

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Iv had my touring about ten years, Id say with all the improvements and add on's, Tires and so on I bet I've got close to 28 invested in my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Kingsford wheels! I wonder if they are easy lighting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

Rule #1 of car restoration:

Never total up the bills! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Norrie, personally I think the guys exagerrating as much as he has the price of that car exagerrated. Makes my $29.9K '15 which looks as good or better a steal!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

We've got a restoration/custom shop here in Portland that builds customs that typically cost $500K. He could easily put $100K into restoring a T depending on what he had to start with, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Yes, it's possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

The arm upholstery in the rear is not a big part of the 100K!

The fenders that are not level also!

The paint on the wood wheels should look like steel spokes for that kind of money, you can see the wood grain in spots!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

For $100K I would want a better fitting top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

If you read the description carefully, you'll see that it was only $10,000 per exclamation point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

come on, its "the #1 model t in the world", of course it would cost that much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

For that kind of money it better come with a hot blonde and a case of beer!

I'll sell him mine for $75,000 and he'll have $25,000 left over for gas & oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

The problem with spending $100,000 to restore a T would be that it would not remain restored unless it were stored in an airconditioned glass case. If you drive it just a little bit, the mold marks on the tires will wear off. A little dust or fine scratches will appear and the car will not be "restored" anymore. Since the cars are not really very rare, why not do a reasonably good job for less money, and then drive the car and have fun with it. If it gets dinged, fix it and keep on driving it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

You could spend twice that amount if you were a total idiot, but it would be difficult for a normal idiot to spend 100K to restore a 15K car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Yes, especially the rare 24 convertible. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Who in their right mind would spend $100,000 for a restoration and then sell it for $40,000? Either the guy is a fool, or the car was sold by the owner who had it restored, at a desperation sale to a dealer who stole it from the original owner and now is offering it for sale trying to make a few bucks. If the seller has receipts to document every dollar spent; that proves $100,000 was spent on the restoration, but it doesn't prove the car is worth it. If he doesn't have the receipts to prove it, fill in the rest of this sentence . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

When i saw the price i though it was in Montana!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

I would think at the rate some folks charge for labor,it could be possible if a rich person hired it done was robbed for his money. With alot of reproduction parts and 100 buck an hour labor.
But even at that,it is a long shot.

It is also possible the seller is so full of it his Indian name is Walking eagle.To full of sh-t to fly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

Gum dipped tires though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

As far as the 100k goes you'll see every other car sold on TV auctions with the same header: "into it for 60k" & it sells for 42 and the seller takes it. Standard operating procedure. Just a figure thrown out to perhaps impress some uninformed buyer. I will say this though: I once counted every nut, bolt and hour I spent on one of my T's (which I was never going to sell then did) and it's staggering. You can count parts or hours but not both. On a T that is. No big returns there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Only one question. For that kind of money, wheres the spare tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Steven, the spare is an option. That will run an additional $8,500.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Okay, I looked at the pictures. I have to say that the car looked a lot nicer than I expected it would. I have seen a lot of antique automobiles that were way over-restored by people with a lot more money than brain. I have seen several model Ts over the years that had more than $40K spent on their restorations (most of these several years ago when the money was worth more).
One thing I have noticed. MOST "way too much money spent" over-restored cars are NOT well restored cars. Often, "artists" that know nothing of automotive history or design are hired to do most of the work. For top dollar of course. Usually, things are painted wrong colors. Top fits badly, upholstery is wrong materials and over-stuffed using incorrect foam padding that looks bad, is uncomfortable, and won't last long.
Another thing I have never understood. Why do people trying to "restore" a car back to something like it was originally, take wooden structures that were originally painted a dull black and then covered by a rubber mat, instead finish them up like a beautiful living-room end table? Floor boards should not look like "Best-of-show" in the wooden boat regatta.

This model T was a bit of a surprise to look at (the photos at least). It actually looks pretty nice. It might even be worth $15K. It still doesn't make the guy not an idiot for spending so much. Must be nice to have that much money. So much that you can spend ten times what you could have spent for basically the same thing, with no chance of recovering more than a very small fraction of it. This from a guy trying to scrape up enough money to buy a few inner tubes he needs.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Steve:

Did my wife provide you with that picture of me? Or was it one of my "friends" that did so?

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Must be a government job, pretty good deal at 100k. Face it, it was that or pay the interest on our debt for 1/2 second.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Dick, I have a couple tires that he can have for only $8,000. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Send me $10,000 and I will tell you how to spend $100,000 on a restoration.
Hint... You would be 10% of the way there already!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

Either the person who restored the 24 Touring doesn't know a black era T's realistic value or is just trying to impress the unknowing by listing that $100.000 was spent on restoring it.

If he would have spent the big bucks on an early brass era T it would be more believable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Ah, come on. Half of you guys gripe at spending $2.50 for a correct bolt. The other half thinks a restoration means sandblasting and a repaint. (Your choice of paint.) :-)

Has anyone seen the car's condition before it was restored? How many of you have spent more than $300 to "restore" just the frame? And I don't mean powder coating or 20 coats of primer to cover up all the rust pitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 06:19 am:

The basket on the running board made me think of Dick Lodge's car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:04 am:

Is it possible this is what he started with or something similar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/model-T-Ford-for-restoration-/141570002410?pt=Salvage_Pa rts_Cars&hash=item20f63acdea&vxp=mtr

Norman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:42 am:

I know people who have $100k into $30k cars.

Professional shops charge the same per hour whether they're working on a million dollar Shelby Cobra, or a $15,000 Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Herb, I don't carry anything in the basket. I put it there because I got tired of people pointing to the luggage holder on the running board and asking, "What's that?" Since I added the basket, no one asks any more.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Correct leather interior?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration