OT Firestone Polonium Spark Plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Firestone Polonium Spark Plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Petersen on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

I purchased a few years back a "lot" of Model T parts. And in that lot came what I thought was Model T spark plugs. I recently went to use them, but they are just a little too small. They aren't even the right threads. I have 18 Firestone Polonium M-60 and 21 M-80 plugs. NOS in the box. I know about the Polonium "gimmick". But curious if anyone knows what they would be used for. Is the "M" for Motorcycle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Can't answer your question but here is a past thread on these that fit Model T.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/136830.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

I wouldn't carry one around in your pocket if I were you.

That's the same advice I give to people about Coleman lantern mantles. The material that remains after the silk (or whatever it is that has now replaced the silk) burns away is phosphorus and is a low-level radioactive compound.

It's also a good idea to wash you hands after you're done changing a mantle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

My T Speedster has had Polonium plugs in it for over 20 years. They seem to be good plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

I second Mike's warning, here is what Wikipedia has to say about Polonium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

OH MY GOD I AM GOING TO DIE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

The radiation you get from one x-ray is equivalent to carrying one of those plugs in your pocket for around 100,000 years. The same scare is used for thoriated TIG electrodes. I have a pack of old ones and they don't even register on my hand held meter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

I've had a set of those spark plugs glowing over in the corner of the shop for a couple years. It hasn't seem to have had a negative affect on anyone around here other than the 47 pound rat with the horse hoof growing out of its nose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

They have a nice purple radioactive color about them. You can put one in your egg carton to kill all of the nasty bacteria!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

LOL... You get more radiation from the sun while you're mowing the lawn. No one has outlawed that ... yet.

(Message edited by ccwken on February 14, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Thanks Ken for bursting the one dream I've had for all those years. Hopefully that law is up for review.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

I am not going to look it up but I would bet a Dr. Pepper that iodized table salt would give you a bigger dose of radiation than an 80 year old Firestone Polonium plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

There are about 4 standard sizes of straight thread plugs; 7/8" (Model A and other cars/trucks/tractors 20's 30') 18MM early V8's, 14MM most everything, 12MM(?)for small engines, then you can get really small ones for model airplanes. I am sure that's not all but off the top of my head the usual suspects.
Did a quick Google search on the M60's, thread in photo looks about 7/8".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

For what it is worth the glow in the dark Firestone Polonium plugs that fit a T are numbered E-100-F. DO NOT BUY THEM!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Why not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Mark,
Because Paul M wants them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 03:58 am:

Dang it, Wayne figured it out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:21 am:

I've got a full box of them they are NOS, should I incase these in a lead box..? Or gift them out to my model T buddies I don't like ?
First set I bought I carried around a show / swapmeet for 4-5 hours I've now had 13 melanomas removed from my body is there a correlation?
Oh well looks like I doomed....!
These ran great in my T they are a nice deep pink color, never had any issues with them, now there might have been some radio active exhaust escaping out the back but at 35-40 mph I was out running running the threat..... I think? LOL

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration