Can I buy windshield glass online?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can I buy windshield glass online?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Is their anyplace online where I can buy a safety glass windshield for a 15 model T? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seager on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Your best bet would be take your windshield to a local glass shop and have them make you one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

I'm not aware of any. What I did was take my windshield frames, with the original plate glass still installed, to my local town glass shop. They took care of removing the old glass and replacing it with safety glass. Only took them a week and they did an excellent job for a very reasonable price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Ok I can do that. I'm surprised that I can't just order it like most other at parts. Thanks for the advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

Daniel, There are plenty of shops in San Jose who can make you just what you want. Shipping glass has never worked out well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

Daniel,

Too many variables for a frame that could be 100 years old. (Maybe a different year windshield frame). Even if it is a '15 frame, slight variations in dimensions - either because of manufacture variations or "old age" kinks would make too many dis-satisfied consumers to make an "almost perfect" mail order fit.

At your local glass shop the workers there can file or sand the glass to make it fit your frame.

Fitting glass to a frame is quite different than making spark plugs fit the head holes !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

I agree.
I took my '27 Tudor windshield frame to a glass shop and let THEM remove the old glass and bedding compound.
The safety glass was cheap but they had a lot of labor getting all the old "crud" out.
It cost $170 and I was happy to pay it.
They did a beautiful job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Yes.

Mac's has glass. http://www.macsautoparts.com

I ordered the windshield set for a '23 runabout. Arrived packed well, installed easy, fit was fine. Used the original alum u - channel that was on the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 12:12 am:

safety glass cut by my local small time glass guy is usually about 40 bucks for a windshield. i have him do many a's & t's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Usually don't like to bad-mouthing anyone, but I got the glass for my Fordor from Macs. Not one of the9 pieces was cut right and had to be either recut to the proper profile (top on doors) or completely recut. Should have gone local to start with and saved $100's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

I believe Bob's site lists laminated glass windshields. I worry about all the things that could happen to them in shipping but none of my local glass shops want to take on the job so I get quotes starting at around $400. Not really sure what I want to do about this just yet...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

tim,
That's strange; I took the dimensions (drawings available somewhere here or on-line) to my local glass shop--their biggest concern was the "bug' for the glass, but I pointed out that the edge was always visible, if anyone questioned it being safety glass, so, no problem. Think I paid about $60 with tax for both front windshield pieces. Oh, and I am going to polish the visible edge myself (easy to do with wet or dry paper, just don't scratch the surface while you're doing it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

A good glass shop should do it. Just take the time to talk to the cutter, the gals at the desk don't do the work, so don't just leave the frames.

If you have the old glass, take that as patterns. And then tell how you want it done, ask for bedding tape. Not all have this in stock but can order it. Bedding tape is what is used on the '26'27 and many others. The earlier use the channels. It takes some care to fit the glass to the channel and then to the frame. (Refer to the Service Bulletin on this).

Without patterns, the vendors sell the reprint of the glass dimensions booklet, get that for the cutter. And tell him about what edges you want finished.

Did that for this non Ford frame, and came out great. not real cheap, was about $80 a frame, plus tax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:10 am:

I took mine (in the frame - lower half) to a glass shop and was quoted about $175. I then took the glass out of the frame and took it to another glass shop and asked them to make a duplicate, only out of safety glass. Cost was $25.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration