Restoring 1922 touring.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Restoring 1922 touring.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oliver Ogefalk on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Hi

I am new here and I need some help in my restoration project. have tried to upload pictures of the three main bearings and some other parts but I don't understand how it works.
I also have a question about the piston play the engine still have the old cast iron pistons the play is ,004 to ,006 inch is it possible to install aluminum pistons with new rings without rebore the cylinder?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Yes Oliver you can install new pistons without boring if the cylinder wear is not to great. You will have to check for wear toward the bottom of the cylinder as a T engine will not show a ring grove at the top. My 24 has over 50k with an overhaul done in this manner and still runs strong. Others opinions will vary, depends on your pocket book I guess. Mine was empty at the time(still is). Good luck. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

Hej Oliver
Nice to see someone here closer by than across the ocean :-)
I have three new std size alu pistons you can have for free - problem is finding a fourth one that weighs the same - they're 70's-80's repros and may differ from current production.

My engines were a little more worn, so I couldn't use std alu pistons - I had about .010 play with the cast iron pistons, but with the new std alu pistons (I had found cheap at a swap meet) the play was a bit too much, so I thought about old practices from the 40's sometimes talked about here about knurling the piston skirt.. tried my own version, but it didn't work out.. that's why I've only got three good ones left.. :-( ..so I bored it and bought new OD pistons.

How are your mains?
I've been lucky, being able to use my original babbitt in two engines.

It's not too hard loading up pictures if they're small enough (194 kb max). I use http://www.picresize.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

Hej Oliver: Det är trevligt att ha dig med i forumet. Du bör gå med i Hälsinge T Ford Klubben. De har många medlemmar i Sverige och Europa. Jag är säker på att du kan få en hel del hjälp och förmodligen några delar som behövs också. Många av deras medlemmar deltar swap möter i USA och de få delar som behövs för andra tillbaka med dem, eller ordna sjöfarten själva. Försök att skicka ett email till Sven-Olov Hanssen. Jag har inte hans senaste adress men kanske Roger gör. Lycka till!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Oj, har du lärt så bra svenska, R.V. I'm impressed by your swedish, R.V. - much better than my english. :-) I saw Oliver has a facebook account, Sven-Olov also has one, so there are contact possibilities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oliver Ogefalk on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

It is so funny with all the answers :-) My budget is not so big if I can I want to reuse the babbitt bearings.

Today I have been in the garage and took some more measurements, the cylinders is smaller at the bottom ,002 and the top was ,004 is this too tight fit for an aluminum piston?
If they are tight is it a good idea to open them up with a Sunnen style honing tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oliver Ogefalk on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Babbitt bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oliver Ogefalk on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Haha it works the picture was too big :-)
Is the third bearing to wornout?

One of these bolts is broken it holds the front suspension in Place. Do anyone know if they are still available I check Snyders but they didn't have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

You won't find that bolt in any of the dealer catalogues because it's not a Ford part. The stock Ford suspension has a perch there. The shackle holding the end of the spring connects to it, like this.

What you have is an aftermarket accessory, like this. Not Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Two more views. Ford:

Not Ford:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oliver Ogefalk on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Tanks for the info Steve I can try to make a new bolt.
Do you Know if the text on the front axle should be faced forward I saw that in your pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

There's no front or back to the front axle, it's the accessory perches and the wishbone that gives the tilt to the axle, though the spindles are LH and RH specific.
I've sent you a longer message in swedish through your profile page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

To me, your babbitt looks excellent. The third photo looks like some debris got run through the bearing at one time. That, in itself, should not be a problem. Were there any shims left under the bearing caps when you took it apart? What were your bearing clearances when you first inspected it? It may be that all you need to do is scrape & refit the existing babbitt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration