Found a New Home for the Model T's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Found a New Home for the Model T's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

But we are going with them! :-) Finally found a home that my wife and I want to spend "forever" in. Our oldest is off to college and our daughter will be going soon too. My wife and I looked at many properties and this was the one that gave us both the "this is it" feeling...... there is some work to be done to make it "our own", but we are super excited. The garage is 27' x 25' - lots of room, plus she has already asked if I need to build a shop - god love her!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Congratulations and best wishes in your new home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

I just built a 36 & 32 on the house and the wife said we did not go big enough? I think she was right and I hate saying that!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Looks great! Hope it works out better for you than our forever home! It had everything we wanted including the huge garage and shop for my cars but the real estate taxes kept going up every year to the point where we could no longer afford the house even though it was fully paid for. In NY State you never own your home, you just rent it from the government. Since I am retired and on a fixed income eventually we were forced to sell and moved to Florida where they at least limit the amount that your taxes can go up and they have no state income tax. It's a hell of a lot warmer too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Thanks guys.

Joe - I am looking at building a 40 x 40 in the future. My current garage is only 16 x 18, and I am busting at the seams. The other issue is the property size - our current house sits on a 30 x 121 foot lot in the middle of a subdivision. The new place is sitting on an acre so I have lots of room to park the "stuff" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Greg,
By all means, tell mrs. Whaley you need to build a shop. That 27X25 garage will suffice only for your tour ready T's and maybe one small space for her car. Dream big!. My shop space has three times the square footage of my house. My wonderful wife is fine with that as long as she gets to do what she wants, too. It reminds me on this Valentine's Day how blessed I am with her and all my family.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Congratulations Greg and best wishes to you and your wife. Val, though it had to be hard to give your house up because of our lousy govt's inability to control their spending. I hope your very happy in your Florida home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Pardon me, I meant to say "I hope you're very happy".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Thanks again guys. Move in date is in April so I hope the weather co-operates.

Val - it's a shame that the government drove you out of your home. You are absolutely right about the the weather being warmer in Florida!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

A new shop Joe?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Greg... When you get it, I'd like to see a picture of the truck and your other rides parked in the grass, all posing like the prom queen...! congrats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Bud,
A place to park a couple cars in the warm!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Congratulations! And good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Congrats, but as someone with about the same size garage, you'll need more. Good news is you can get three T's in there by putting one sideways across the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Greg,

Congratulations on your new home! And as you look at the possibilities of adding additional space you have lots of options. There have been several very good threads on the forum discussing ideas about garage / workshops. And being located in Canada – heat will probably be more important to you than someone living in Florida. Just Google the words Shop Garage site:mtfca.com and you will find lots of them.

I want to mention one safety item that has destroyed a few homes and Ts in the past. Where is your hot water heater located in new home and how is it powered? If it is not anywhere near the garage – you don’t need to take any action. If it is located in the garage and it is gas, propane, oil fired etc. then you have some “risk management to do.” In my case the house we are now living in originally had a propane fuel hot water heater in the garage. That with gravity fuel systems such as the 1903-1931 Ford models is not a recommended combination. It is not a matter of “IF” a 1903-1931 Ford will leak fuel but more often a matter of when. And yes a properly maintained gravity fuel system with a secure shut off will not leak – if the owner remembers to shut the gas off. I’ve forgotten to shut the gas off a few times. And sometimes it didn’t matter. And sometimes the valve in the carb would have some trash on it or not seat properly. Or there was a couple of years when it routinely would stick open and a light wrap on the carb would have it seal up again. But overhauling the carb fixed that.

Technically they build flame fired hot water heaters that are guaranteed to sense the gasoline vapors and shut down the hot water heater flame. But I don’t really want to try that one out without first finding out is that 100% of the time or 99.99% of the time. I know I plan to put Ts & As in the garage for the foreseeable future. And since I have smelled the leaking gas several times in the past years, I opted to have the flame type hot water heater replaced by an electric one. I could have also moved the hot water heater out of the garage – but it was easier to leave it in the garage and just replace it with the electric one.

Again, congratulations on your new home.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Just a guess but in Ontario i would think the water heater would be in the house?? Bud. Nice looking place! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Sweet, congratulations!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Gary: 40X40? You better go at least 40X80. Don't ask how I know. :-( Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

30X40 looked HUGE until I started moving stuff in, wished I'd gone 40x80 oh well live and learn preferably form the error's of others!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Gary - Congratulations on your "Forever" home.

My motto is: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! Like the others said, make it 40 x 80, or at least build it so that it can be expanded later.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Greg
1. After a LOT of head scratching I settled on 32 x 64 as about the ideal car shop size. I then put two doors in one end wall and two doors in one of the long walls at the far end. I can get anything out with only moving one car no matter where it is in there!!
2. IN FLOOR HEAT!! Put styrofoam under the concrete and what I finally settled on was using 2x8 pressure treated timber vertically around the perimeter which I leave in place permanently. I ran a bunch of 6" long lag bolts along the inside face with 4 1/2 sticking into the concrete spaced about every 2 feet. This way if stays well attached to the concrete and provides considerable R value (a lot better than nothing).
3. Locate the boiler outside the main building in a separate little shed and make sure the adjoining wall is sealed. Ideally locate it in a completely separate building so if it catches fire for any reason it won't take the big building with it. This way you don't have a pilot light/open flame where your valuable tools and cars are. WAY TOO MANY collections have burned to the ground .
I have also found in floor heating considerably more efficient and my "indulgence" is I keep my shop warm all winter, so I can go work whenever the mood strikes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

Les, it is amazing how warm 60 degrees is in the floor heat, if you are working under a car it sure is nice on the concrete, I can remember as a young boy changing out a 350 turbo in a barn with ice on the ground and a space heater warming the building and after a little while we where laying in melted ice and then you are really cold!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Great suggestions guys. Definitely looking at putting a heated floor in the shop.

No worries about the water heater - it is in the basement.

I have started packing up then garage - I've got way more "stuff" than I thought :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Does your new garage have enough electrical outlets and lights? Is it insulated and drywalled? If not and the budget and time allows it, you might want to get that work done before you fill it up with your "stuff". :-)

garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:03 am:

I've yet to hear a man say "I should have built a smaller shop." or to hear a woman say "I wish I had a smaller closet." :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration