How does this tire gauge work. ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How does this tire gauge work. ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

I bought a couple things for the speedster project off of e-Bay a few days ago. I needed the center medallion for my Disteel spare tire carrier, but there was also a Disteel tire gauge in the same auction as a "plus". I assume it uses a hose on one side with a regular air chuck on it. The other side Im not sure of. The T on the gauge is "straight thru". I guess it may use an "air trigger" on the end of the second hose like some modern "hose style" air chucks use today. Any ideas, ads, or photos ... of one like it, or a period style similar to this one ...

disteel 1

disteel 2

disteel 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

One more question, Does anyone know where to get a "correct" style hose for this ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

The gauge most likely went in-line with a tire pump hose. You would cut the hose and insert the gauge between the two pieces. It probably came with some type of clamp too. Probably a squeeze band.

As for "correct" hose, it would be the tire pump hose (braded rubber).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

Ken, That does make sense to me now that you mention it ... The 2 "barbed" fittings on the gauge are the proper size to fit a tire pump hose. I wonder if Disteel sold the pump and gauge together. ??? I have never seen much Disteel stuff in 30 years of messing with T stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

The Disteel branded products may be pretty rare. The company lasted until 1923 before being merged into Midland Steel Products. Midland was one of the suppliers for Ford sheet metal parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

I found 2 options for the in-line gauge. One is the running board tire pump. I have a couple like the ones in the ad. The only problem is I will have this to use on the speedster (no running boards) the other is the spark plug pump. I really like the idea of using it with the spark plug pump. How far back were the spark plug pumps available. I know they were a 40s 50s era item but not sure how far back they go. I can get the pump in the photo for less than 20.00 and it would be a good useable item to have. So I may go ahead and put my gauge on a spark plug pump even if it is not period correct. But it would be nice if they were available in the 30s era or earlier.

pump 1

pump 2

pump 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:08 am:

Somewhere in my pile of "stuff" I have a sparkplug pump I picked up years ago. My best recollection is that the sparkplug end was a cylinder about 4-5" long and had tapered threads that would fit a model T head. The hose was like the picture Donnie posted with a nickel plated gauge in the same place in the hose. I have no idea if it was made later the the T era but sure looks like it would work on a T. The gauge looked like the separate one in the photo. Gotta see if I can find it when spring comes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:49 am:

I went ahead and bought the spark plug pump I show above. I remember my dad had one years ago. I believe it was a pump from the local Ford tractor dealer. It was in a small metal box and had 4 or five different adapters for different spark plug threads. It may not be period correct but I think it will make a good useful tool to have in the speedster...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

Donnie, I like the DISTEEL air gauge, I have never seen one like that before.
Since you opened the subject of DISTEEL, I am looking for a rear hub and a wheel for a spare. If you have a extra rear wheel and hub, PM me. I will also be going to Chickasha next month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Willie, I do not have anything extra right now. I have a full set of wheels, hubs, and spare with carrier. I really want to find one more center cap with the three nuts for a spare (just in case). I needed the medallion for my spare carrier, but the gauge was a plus that was sold with it. I also, have never seen a gauge before this one. Another thing I have never seen, is a "Disteel" hubcap. But if you look at most of the period "Disteel" ads, they show a "Disteel" hubcap in the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 06:11 am:

Donnie - you need a period air compressor to go with that gauge ;-)

air

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Steve, I like it ... I have a very early Curtis air compressor similar to yours. But it is missing the motor. I really like the looks of your motor ... It makes me want to find a old motor and get mine running now :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Wow - my compressor was built in 1947 and I thought that was pretty old. Steve, that is beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Thanks fellas, I was was pretty lucky to find it. It came out of the Shenandoah valley. It has a 230v Emerson motor. It didn't run when I got it. The whole thing was caked in grease and dirt. I pulled the motor apart, it was filled with crud. I carefully cleaned, oiled and reassembled it, and it ran beautifully. The motor has an internal centrifugal clutch. The only thing I added was the pressure relief valve. The on/off switch is porcelain and has an 1895 patent date inside it. The Kellogg air pump has 2 cylinders and will get to 100 psi in about 10 seconds. But I have the relief valve set to about 60 psi, no need to stress it. Here's a couple more pics.
air
air2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Looks like that gauge has the capability of reading up to 140 lbs. Would a tire pump read that high?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

I have a Ford Tractor pump. Box indicates its for a 9N. 1939-1941.

tire pump

pump 2

pump 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

We've had this discussion in the past, but for those that missed it, and might think that this type pump might pump gasoline vapor into the tire, not so! Compression only serves to actuate the pump, which pumps only fresh air into the tire. They work great! Bought one from Warshawski's (before J.C. Whitney) for my Model A when I was a kid. Worked great then, and years later with wife and kids, used to use it with modern V8 to pump up air mattress's when camping. Worked great for that too, except a bit too noisy if late in the evening in campground. I still have it, and I'm sure it would still work very well, if I could only find it! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

John, I had forgot about the wrench on the hose till you showed the photo of your box. Dads was in a metal box and it looks like yours was in a bag . ?? I have seen them both ways ... I did not remember the wrench on the hose till you showed your photo of the box. Steve, the chain on your pump looks like a Dodge Brothers timing chain .???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

It is much like a multi link timing chain. It runs smooth and quiet.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration