Epoxy Primer on T Parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Epoxy Primer on T Parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:47 am:

Advantages of having a wood cook stove in New York. We had the stove cranked up to 500 degrees, and then hung the freshly primed parts around it. Parts get so hot you can barely touch them. Works great. What else would you do on a cold winter day in NY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:08 am:

Dan, are you a bachelor? :-} KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:11 am:

Take special note of the directions for epoxy primers. Most require the top-coat be applied within a certain time period. If not, the primer should be sanded for paint adhesion. And if you've never tried to sand epoxy primer, you're in for a treat. :-) Stock up on wet/dry paper because it's like trying to sand used chewing gum. If you don't follow the directions, the paint won't adhere very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:22 am:

Keith, Not a bachelor, my wife is as crazy as I am.
Ken, I am familiar with epoxy primers. I use them a lot. I do wait for them to dry, then I block out all the parts again with wet dry paper. The brand that I use I have never had a problem with it being gummy, 'baking it" makes it nice and hard and blocks out well. The body is already in final paint and rubbed out, of course I had no way of heating that. I let the primer set for a few weeks before I blocked it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Dan, you are a lucky man, my wife is not tolerant of my T escapades at all. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Ok, Dan. Sounds like it's not your first rodeo. :-) Are you using a 1-part or 2-part epoxy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Same here Keith!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:39 am:

I have a great wife, but this might be pushing things a little bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Ken, This is the product that I use. The mix is: 4 part primer, 1 part activator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Dan, we all love wood heat too in the Northwoods. Nothing like solid fuel heat on a cold, cold day! Just don't burn the house down as that causes all kinds of other unintended issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 11:34 am:

That must be really good stuff..EP-769 is more than $200/gallon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 11:56 am:

HA HA. Here is SoCal we just put our stuff out in the sun. Supposed to be over 80 f today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Kevin, We have two wood stoves going today. We heat our home with wood, and my wife is making a stew, cookies, and a cherry pie in the wood cook stove.
John, Epoxy primer is expensive. Everything to do with auto-body is these days. Wet dry sandpaper is over a dollar a sheet. The refinishing supplies have become a major cost component in doing a car.
Bailey, I'm super jealous, 80 f? The only good thing for us is if I had that kind of weather I would never get anything done, I would be out "T-ing". Our high today is 7 f right now and snow coming down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

It is expensive, but it is the way to do things right. I use epoxy primer on all my painting projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Help me understand the value of epoxy primer. My understanding is that it seals the metal better and prevents moisture from penetrating the primer and reaching the steel. But if you top coat with a quality, paint, doesn't that seal it also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2010/01/01/hmn_opinion2.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Michael,
Epoxy primer has proven over the years to be a very versatile primer. From memory it was originally designed to help protect surfaces which were exposed to acids, so much so it is used to line the inside of tankers which carry acids.

Its great advantage is its adhesion ability as well as what you mentioned, sealing off moisture . It adheres better than other primers, etch primers used to be used but the EPA stepped in on them.

When plastics became a major part of car body surfaces adhesion to the plastic parts was gained by special primers for plastics, we even had several different ones depending on the plastic used. Someone then realised that epoxy primer worked better on any of them so it became the primer of choice.

A quality top coat is useless if the paint under it is poor so the way to get the best result is to use the best primer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Another advantage of the EP-769 Epoxy I use is: it has great filling capabilities. It will fill minor imperfections and sand scratches, and does not shrink back. I do a final wet sand block out before final paint. It leaves you with a nice straight finish.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration