Clutch pedal dose not retract

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clutch pedal dose not retract
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

When I press down on the clutch pedal, the car moves forward very slowly. When I remove my foot, the pedal stays down. Do I need a new spring on the transmission band, or should I tighten up on the band some more? How tight should the band be? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Here is an earlier thread that talks about one possible cause for the problem:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/512569.html?1422065380

I would suggest going through the whole "free neutral" procedure in the diagram to make sure your low band, clutch link, and bolt are all properly adjusted. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Sounds like the band is so loose that the pedal goes beyond the end of the 'ramps' and hits the place where there is nothing trying to move it back. You could see this with the floorboards out. Look where the pedal's shaft enters the transmission, and work the pedal to see how it works.

The band should be tight enough that when you tromp down on the pedal real hard, it can only go to about an inch from the floor.

But it should be loose enough that when the pedal is all the way up, the band is providing the minimum amount of drag on the drum - hopefully none at all.

It could be a simple adjustment, that can be done without opening the inspection plate. But, it is possible that the band is broken or deteriorated to the point that what's left of the rivets is digging grooves in the drum. That's expensive and requires an engine removal.

I recommend you open the inspection plate and take a real hard look at your bands. Ounce of Prevention, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:15 am:

Thanks Mark for the link, I had read that and adjusted the link. I think the band is still too loose. I was worried that I had tightened it too much, But I guess it can be snugged up a little more. will try to get to it this week. Thanks again for the help, this is my first T and it is quite the learning experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:04 am:

The band will wear really fast if you have a cotton or wood band and the low speed adjustment is so loose it won't lock the drum. If you have kevlar the risk the drum will heat up until it cracks increases even more when slipping the band, but if you're lucky tightening the band is enough. It's best to open the inspection lid as suggested to see how much is left of the band(s).

When starting, press down the foot firm to lock the low drum as soon as possible without making any jerks or killing the engine. If you have a medium heavy T and std rear axle gears you don't need much gas for taking off - experiment with less advanced spark and low rpms, you can minimize band wear with your driving technique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Adjust the band using the external adjustment screw. But, as Peter suggests, a simple adjustment may not be enough if the band lining is too worn. Once you adjust the band, send us a photo of the adjustment screw and of the band, (inspection cover removed). We should be able to judge whether the lining looks excessively worn based on how far the adjuster is screwed in and how close the band ends are to each other with the pedal depressed.

It's only the most extreme cases that would require engine removal.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration