OT - Old picture. What kind of truck is this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Old picture. What kind of truck is this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

I was looking through some of my dad's stuff and found this photo. Does anyone have any idea of what it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

I'm going to guess a 1911 Buick Model A-2 with Standard Open Express Body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:20 am:

I have been to where this farm was located. It was in Spencer, Ma about a hour west of Boston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Thanks for the identification Verne. I see that those sold for $1000.00 f.o.b. factory in 1911. That must have been quite a farm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:36 am:

Is that an hour today or an hour in that truck?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 08:11 am:

By the time they got the milk to market it was cheese :-)

I am amazed at how everyone survived when milk was shipped in containers that sat next to the milk house on a platform until they were picked up and carted away in an open truck like that. Then bottled, trucked to the store, and porches and sat again until the customer used it. That was whole milk with the cream still in it. (the bottles had a little bulge in the glass neck so you could separate the cream for whipping). Now they have refrigerated bulk tanks at the farm, refrigerated trucks and fast delivery and the put a expiration date on it! I am still using a gallon of milk that has an expiration date of Jan 30 and it's still good and it's Feb 16!

Dad delivered milk door to door for 25- 30 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Many kids and maybe some grownups didn't or got very sick because of bad milk.
History

Pasteurization was first used in the United States in the 1890s after the discovery of germ theory to control the hazards of highly contagious bacterial diseases, including bovine tuberculosis and brucellosis, that could be easily transmitted to humans through the drinking of raw milk.[8] Initially after the scientific discovery of bacteria, no product testing was available to determine if a farmer's milk was safe or infected, so all milk had to be treated as potentially contagious. After the first test was developed, some farmers actively worked to prevent their infected animals from being killed and removed from food production, or would falsify the test results so that their animals would appear to be free of infection.[9]

In the United States, milk pasteurization became "widespread" in the 1920s and it was considered "one of the major breakthroughs in public health".[5] In 1924, "Grade A Pasteurization" became recommended federal policy, but interstate commerce of unpasteurized dairy products was only limited via federal legislation in 1987.[6]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:08 am:

I lived on a dairy farm for 26 years and we drank raw milk and so did all the children and grandchildren. I am happy to report that we are all alive and well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration