Any interest in old forum posts going back as far as 1998?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Any interest in old forum posts going back as far as 1998?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

I have found that some of the old forums have been saved over the years and you can read them as far back as Jan. 1998. It might be something worth looking into to find info that was posted and lost.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Forgot to post a link to the web site that saved the web from 1996 to present where I found this stuff.

https://archive.org/web/

Use the Wayback machine and type in the address you want and it will show you how many times it has been saved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

how far back does a normal google search go? guess i never paid attention to the oldest

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

The REAL Wayback machine.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Bob,

Yes, there were quite a few postings that disappeared when the 2007 or so Forum crashed. While I am not looking for the "what type of oil..." discussions, there were a lot of other items I would like to check. The same is probably true for the 2000 to 2004 forums that are not on our current site.

I did a quick search but I never was able to "find" the 2007 forum that appears to have been captured according to their calendar of when the web sites were captured. If someone has already figured out how to get to that one or the ones before 2005 -- please post a link when you have time.

Also when I clicked on the original link - it did not take me to any site. I Googled the link and I would guess the site: https://archive.org/web/web.php is related to where you are pointing us to?

I'm sure like starting the car it is easy to do once you figure out if your friend left the key under the floor mat or put it the tool box etc.

Again thanks for the lead -- I am hoping to be able to search items in that missing time frame.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cutoff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Hap,
I only have internet on the weekends so have not had time to play with this yet but I know someone will and maybe this will help you fill in some of the missing info that was lost. My hope is it may turn up something that will benefit us all. Wish it could take us back to any year we type in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

Bob,

Thanks for touching base again. I plan to look at it some more this weekend also. If anyone finds a link to that specific 2007 or so forum -- please let us know.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:20 am:

It's flaky. Avweb.com in early June, 2001, said that there would be terrorist attacks on US airlines in the third week of June. By the time I went back to look for it, those weekly issues were gone from their site. This archive just has the same undated August issue posted throughout May, June and July. Phooey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Kramer, Woodstock, Ontario on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Hap and anyone else who might be interested,
A large number of posts from 2007 can be located in the 2005 forum.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/29.html?1117570213
You have to scroll down past quite a few posts but you will eventually reach a post "Door lath spring 26 coupe question" from December 31 at 11:22, appears to be the last post of the 2007 forum.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/44151.html?1199161334
If you continue scrolling down you will reach eventually reach a post "Happy New Year!" from January 01 at 4:55. This appears to be the first post from the 2007 forum.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/22857.html?1167645339
I haven't checked all the posts between those two points, only some of them, but they all appear to be from 2007. Perhaps Chris B. would be able to extract them from the 2005 forum folder and input them to a 2007 folder to make them easier to locate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Christopher,

Thank you for the update. You are correct the 2007 posting are there. But when I was reviewing the postings the clue light came on when I re-read the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/3205.html?1116171578 it says:
+++++
“Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 01:30 pm:
I have been searching Google for various oddball items related to Model T's. I have found a lot of bad links to the old forum posts. What makes this interesting is that Google takes "snapshots" of all the sites on the WWW that it's sees periodically. I was able to read many old postings by clicking on the "cached" link following the description.

If someone was ambitious or really bored, they could collect all these snapshots and catalog them before they get too old and are permanently deleted off the Google servers.”
++++

Hap again:

So it is probably the 2003 or 2004 forum that we lost. Anyway -- I'm still interested in trying to figure out how to access those years. Not to read the debates on which transmission band is the best but for many of the additional details I am always looking for about our early Fords.

Again thank you for taking the time to look and post the links.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Ken,

I like your posting :-)! Now if you can just narrow it down to save the Model T Forums for me....

If my kids were still home they could probably figure it out in less than 10 minutes how to use the "way back" to find the 2004 or so forum. Or to tell me -- "looks like they missed that one."

Thanks from bringing a smile my way.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:52 am:

:-)
When I tried to view the discussions from some of the old forums, I kept getting a 404. Apparently, only the index page is saved and all you see is a list of topics.

I was afraid someone would see how dumb I was back then but I guess I'm safe. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:13 am:

OT: I was interested to see that my old website is there. It was quite a project for a computer-challenged old guy.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010722191114/http://signpast.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 11:44 am:

The older forum threads are interesting to read, but Model T technology has changed so much in the past 17 years....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Glad to see someone have fun with this. I think it might have saved just the index page but maybe the rest is in another spot. If you had the full web address to the post it might be saved? My internet skills are limited and not getting any better with age so bring the kids in and maybe they can teach some old dogs how to dig up a bone.

I like Kens post but this box has no slot to insert a new floppy disk into drive A. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration