Engine Number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engine Number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

I started this thread weeks ago. I'm attempting to get a Texas title for a T vehicle I've created from a 40 year pile of T "junk". I had Dave Currier build a "Hack" body to which I've attached to a T frame acquired years ago and to be powered by a T block that I got, God knows where, which carried the motor # 16153960. I know, I know, this is not a # to which we would associate with typical T numbers but it's there none the less. So, how and where do I start in getting a Texas title. I'm reporting this episode as a do or don't for others in Texas who are contemplating applying for a title for a vehicle that carries no prior title. After standing in line for a hour at the Harris county auto title/license bureau, the lady said, "you've stood in the wrong line and at the wrong division building. So across town I go to the TxDMV office. Here, you log into a computer station where, after answering a series of questions, it tells you you are, or are not, at the correct place to get done what you came to do. In my case, applying for a vehicle title for a non licensed vehicle. After being directed to a young lady employee, with pictures in hand to illustrate my project, we proceed into a 1 hr, 45 min. question and answer process. She had never had this kind of a license request before and after wandering through the volumes of State generated procedures, the correct procedures finally became apparent. (I hope). Procedure 1, Get an inspection of the vehicle by a duly licensed public police officer. I'm in Harris county and the Hack is 77 miles away in Washington County. These two ladies took it upon them selves to call the Washington county Sheriff's dept. and set up an inspection visit by one of their deputies. The deputy came and filled out form VTR-66-A (Application for Assigned or Re Assigned Number) I went through the odd number with the deputy and he said it made no difference what no. I wished to use as long as that no. appeared on the block. He said having the no. stamped on the frame was my choice, it was the block that counted. He said to carry a picture of the no. as it is on the block, pictures of the car as it appeared during construction, some receipts of parts and all to the Texas Registration Division (VTR) otherwise known as the Vehicle Titles Registration Regional Office. There are 16 such offices spread around the State, All must be filed within the 30 day file period. So, here I am and it is. More as this process proceeds. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Jerry,
Ask the officials what the end result will be if you are successful. This sounds a lot like the story I was given by another state. I was about to head down that path, when I found out that even if I jumped through all the correct hoops in the correct order, I could get a clear title--as a current year "HOMEMADE". I finally broke the code for SC and titled all six of my T's there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Mike, a homemade title for me is not my objective. I'll be at the title office this week and see where this goes. I started this effort last year and the thought I would need to haul the Hack 90 miles to Conroe Tx for an inspection just shut the effort down but now it put up or shut up for me. Let's see what happens......Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:09 am:

OK so this is what I had to do in Michigan I suggest you talk with some local Texas folks to see if it is similar.

1. I checked with a friend who is a cop to see if my Engine number was in the system as stolen. Since the T numbers aren't a true 'VIN' the number will only be in the 'system' if it is reported stolen

2.Had a notarized bill of sale from whom I purchased the block from.

2a.Have a local officer come out to verify the number on the block. There was a form from the state that the officer had to sign.

2b. A Surety bond from my insurance agency, it indemnifies the State so if they issue a title and the original owners dispute it.

3. Take all paper work to the DMV (Secretary of State here in Michigan) And fill out application that took 8 weeks. They will research the 'VIN' for liens, etc. Once everything is finished you should get an appropriate year and model title

For me the whole thing took about 4 months of research, talking to multiple people at the state to get the correct info and forms. And multiple trips to the Secretary of State dealing with counter agents that had no clue or didn't care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:18 am:

You're lucky to enjoy the luxury of a deputy coming to inspect the vehicle. A few years ago our legislature decided the process was much too easy. Now you have to take the car to the county seat between 11 AM and 1 PM on Tuesday or Thursday and pay the officer $10 (cash only) to look at it. No man's life and property are safe when the legislature is in session.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Repeat after me; "I did not create the car from a 40 year pile of parts. I got a significant remains of an original car and restored it."

State rules do vary a lot. In Califunny, the number on the engine WILL NOT be used as the VIN. (Unless you can find an incompetent employee which sometimes may be the best thing except often someone down the paper trail will catch it and send it back) They WILL check the engine number for theft reports.

Califunny was early on the curve for wanting the VIN on the frame or body. They were reassigning the VIN onto the frame as early as the early 1920s. I have seen several frames with the VIN already stamped onto them here. There was NO standardized location for that VIN.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Does this make sense? Logic(?) would address the issue of titling for ownership of a vehicle as a piece of abandoned property through a quick or quitclaim title. If states/commonwealths saved vehicle registration as property titles (deeds) are saved, one could advertise the vehicle's engine or VIN for 30 days, giving time for the original owner to provide proof and step forward to claim the parts. If no one steps forward then a title could be issued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

Jerry, bless your heart, your pleadings above remind me of that TV commercial where the backseat lady tells her driver daughter-in-law to "please step on it, I'm 80"

I probably should've enumerated these last-year steps I took at Texas' DMV when I titled a vehicle built much like you did. First off I had to go to my county tax office because we live rurally and have no DMV. They gave me Form 130 U (Revised 8/20/13) and the two page VTR-130-SOF Rev 11/13 AND the obligatory 'Application for Assigned or Reassigned Number (no form number) Fill out the latter and have a peace officer confirm that weird engine number. I'll sign the Form 130-U saying I sold the vehicle to you w/out a title. Then you fill out the VTR 130-SOF saying you bought the car from me many years ago and it had a tree growing up between the frame rails and I never had a title or bill of sale. Next you take these 3 forms to your Tex DMV Vehicle Title and Registration Division and what you want from them is a form letter mailed a few days later saying " ...the TxDMV/VTR cannot issue a Texas title based upon the information submitted." It sounds dead ended but this is what you really want because the letter gives you 2 options to acquire a title. Choose the first. It suggests you "request your County Tax Assessor Collector Office to hold a hearing". Then you're home free.I have a county letter To Whom It May Concern saying I presented all the state documents and requested this hearing to determine whether or not a title should be listed. The Tax Assess./Coll simply ended the letter to the state DMV requesting they issue a title to me. About 4 weeks later I received my title. This was the easiest I've ever experienced.
Call or email me Jerry if I can in any way assist you in this matter. Come by and we'll sup on some of our world famous Lockhart BBQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

The second option involves you purchasing a $100 surety bond that you'll never get back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:18 pm:

Oh, and one more alibi: our county mounties will come by and inspect that weird engine number for free. They see it as just another job requirement. . . .. Steve Jelf ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Sonny.....bless you....Jerry.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration