Steel valve stems for inner tube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steel valve stems for inner tube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

can some one tell me how long a steel valve stem on the inner tube should be for a wood fellow wheel I have some but they range from 2.5 to 4.0 inches long. Some are schrader no 725

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:25 am:

Colin, I have yet to see a steel valve stem. The Schrader stems with which I am familiar have all been nickel plated brass. All the inserts in rubber stems are also brass.

The most common length I come across are 3", give or take a bit. Some of these are too fat to go through the hole in the wooden felloe.

Hope this helps,

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:27 am:

No such thing as a steel valve stem! They are all brass, or nickel plated brass. You want a Schrader 777 or 888, or Dill or Bridgeport equivalent. They can also say TR-16. 2 3/4- 3" is all you want. We have to consider wheel balance these days. Back when no one went over 25 mph it wasn't an issue. You don't want the fat ones they sell now days. They are made for trucks and big cars, and are vulcanized to the tube which is incorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Thank You gentleman and yes they are nickel plated brass. Well of my collection I have only one that is correct so I will go on the hunt, after all the fun is in the hunt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration