Edison Spark Plugs.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Edison Spark Plugs.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:13 am:

It is a well known fact that Thomas Edison, Harvey Firestone and Henry ford were good friends. One interesting aspect of their friendship is that their friendship can be represented on our Model T's in that we can put Firestone Tires on our cars and Edison Spark plugs on the engine. Does anyone have Edison spark plugs on their cars and if so, how reliable are they? Are they as good as the Champion X plugs? Isn't the #14 the correct Edison Spark plug to use on the Model T? Is it desirable to have a set of 4 Edison Spark Plugs on the Model T? I would think that a set of Edison plugs installed on a Model T show car would be very interesting for the average person to see, who was unaware that Edison made Spark Plugs. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 04:30 am:

Well hello there Jim P! Seems to have been awhile since you did much posting? (I have seen a couple in the past eight months) I do hope you are doing well, and fully recovered from that bad collision some time back.

About twenty years ago, I had eight nearly new-old-stock Edison number 13 plugs. At least I thought I did. I put four of them on the boat-tail roadster I had at that time. They looked good and ran great. I really liked them. Then I sold the car. I should have kept the plugs. But that just wasn't the way I was. I was selling that car, with all the little goodies that were on it.
Awhile later, I looked at my remaining four Edison plugs, and discovered that one of them had a cracked porcelain. Somehow, through two household moves, the broken one, and one good one have vanished into the black-hole of my stuff.
I have since bought a few more Edison plugs. They are truly new-old-stock and personally, I refuse to use them. Most of them are complete with their original boxes and paper wrap instructions. I think they should be preserved that way.

The number 14 plugs are a single ground that fit a model T.
The number 13 plugs are a dual ground that fit a model T. The dual ground probably does not help running or power any, but they are a bit bigger and do look nice.
The number 14s look similar to a Champion X without the brass hat. Both 13s and 14s have several variations in porcelain shape which can make it difficult to put together a matching set of four. I have been trying to make a full set to use since I sold that boat-tail twenty years ago. So far, I have a few that I would consider using. A whole two alike.
If you have a good set? Use them! I think they would look good on your car, and they do make a bit of a conversation piece.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:47 am:

Jim & Wayne :

Edison #14's have been in our '26 Runabout the past 5 years, run clean, good starts, IMHO are better than the Champion X plugs.

The '22 Touring of the "old Man's" at the Glenmont Estate in Llewellyn Park, West Orange, NJ runs with # 14's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:16 am:

I concur with Bob.

I have Edison's and I like them better than Champion X.

I always keep an eye out for them at swap meets.

I think this is Erich's image.

: ^ )
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Hi Wayne. Thank you. I have fully recovered from my bad accident of February 2012 and am now working out with weights 3 time a week. The railcar repair company I worked for, for 37 years sold in July of 2014 and, as a 15% owner, I realized a good chunk of change from the sale and a 37 year pension which I have invested with TD Ameritrade and am now fully retired at 61 years of age living off the proceeds and leaving the capital alone. I have been real busy working on my 5 rental properties and have not had much time for the forum, but will be making room in my schedule to get back on my Model T's when I find the time.

Thanks everyone for your answers to my questions. Great picture Keith. Those look beautiful! Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Good to hear Jim P!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Try to show up around hear a little more often if you can Jim. I'm happy for your being able to retire. I don't envy you the circumstances that got you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

Jim, glad to hear all is well. Now that you are retired it sounds as though you are too busy to keep up on the forum....

:-)

Sounds like a good problem to have, enjoy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration