First start video for my 1911 RHD touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: First start video for my 1911 RHD touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:29 am:

I've been working on this restoration of a Canadian 1911 rhd T for the last 3 years and the time had come to see if it would go. My son Dan came over and we were determined to go for a ride today. All the correct original running gear has been rebuilt. I did change the 6 rivet rear end to a ruckstall as I'll be touring this car quite a bit. The engine was too stiff to crank start, we (Dan) tried! After a short 10 ft pull behind my truck it fired right up. Sounded good! I let it run for 10 minutes stopped in the middle of the road. I love living in the country... After, it moved well in low but didn't have high or much brakes! Adjusted the clutch and that solved the high problem. Both low and reverse needed adjusting as well as did the carb linkage. After that it went down the road just like a T should. the only problem left is the driver, me! Those darn controls are backwards on a right hand drive. I keep forgetting. Still lots of little things to do. Working on restoring an original Metzgar Automatic windshield for it. I'm sure the last time it was polished was probably in 1912!!
Here's the video

http://www.magisto.com/album/video/fXt8QF9FHVR5PngEDmEwCXt_?l=vsm&o=a&c=m

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:40 am:

Handsome! '11s are my favorites. Good luck with it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 04:25 am:

Beautiful, Fine job wish you a lot of great driving hours.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:00 am:

Beautiful car, it will turn heads wherever you go and bring smiles ear to ear. Good job. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:37 am:

Beautiful!! Love a brass T with proper wire wheels. Looks elegant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Absolutely gorgeous! I want one!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Awesome car! Just curious, how much faster is the ruckstall than the original rear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Ken-

Nice job. The upholstery and top look first rate!

Are you running original Heinze coils and Heinze coil box?

: ^ )

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

A beauty! But I have to go off-topic and ask about the black coupe n the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Beautiful car, lots of hard work there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

It's a lovely car, Ken. Congratulations on your first drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Gorgeous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

Thanks for all the compliments guys.
Keith. It has an original Heinze coil box with the correct early coils. RV rebuilt the coils and they work great. I've been running another set that RV rebuilt a couple of years ago in my Tourabout. I've never had an issue with them. We are lucky to have guys like RV around to keep us on the road with original parts.
Jason. Ruckstalls are an under drive only so you don't get any increased speed. They are great for going up hills which we have a lot of here in Vancouver. All 3 of my running T's have Ruckstalls. I can't live without them anymore!
Jem. The black coupe in the background is my 1934 Dodge rumble seat coupe. It's an original car with 88000 miles on it, sold new in Vancouver. Sometimes I just need to go faster... the Dodge does the trick. I've got the mate to it in my shop as well, a 34 Dodge rumble seat roadster. It's waiting for a restoration sometime soon if I can ever find the time.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:32 am:

Just to clarify on Jasons question, speed can be increased depending on the crown wheel and pinion ratio's, I have 2 ruckstalls and when I got them they had ratio's of 3:1, about 55/60mph on a good flat road and windless day. Do I recommend, no, unless you have a nice light speedster.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration