Transmission issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Transmission issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:15 am:

I had an issue with my transmission with it not having a neutral all of a sudden, and the emergence brake working harder than my other T's. I took the engine out of the car, tore it down, and did not find anything of consequence. I replaced the clutch spring and cleaned up everything and reassembled and no surprise it still seems to work hard. I have a video for a better explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVHRgVikUEI&feature=youtu.be

I'm open for ideas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:41 am:

It could be the transmission linkage or the brake lever adjustment bolt. It doesn't take much to lose neutral if the adjustment is off just a little. If you disassembled the transmission and you checked it closely and everything was OK it would have to do with the linkage I would think.

Did you check the transmission cover closely? What about the clutch fork where its bracket is riveted to the shaft. Is it loose on the shaft?

Others probably have other suggestions.

Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:52 am:

It is more like the actuation of the shaft with the fork works extremely hard, almost to the point where it wants to life the engine up. its crazy...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:33 am:

It sounds to me like the clutch fork is in the wrong slot, it is easy to do.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:35 am:

easy fix, I'll take a peek at that, Any other suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Any chance it got stuck while in low? If so, might want to look at letting the 3- clutch fingers out 1/2 turn each...and try again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Since it happened all of a sudden, my guess is a broken crankcase arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:20 am:

I'm with Mike W. on this one. This sounds like something external, like a broken arm causing the engine to shift in the frame.

["It is more like the actuation of the shaft with the fork works extremely hard, almost to the point where it wants to life the engine up. its crazy..."]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:21 am:

I looked at the arm that has the fork on it and when I move it with the lever, it turns on the other side. But I'll look again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:34 am:

John -- Not an arm which has a fork on it, the crankcase arm which is also the rear motor mount, so to speak.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration