Nailed it! Before Quality was Job #1. Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Nailed it! Before Quality was Job #1. Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:39 am:

At one time production was first and quality was somewhere else. When you are making 6000 a day some things get over looked. This was found inside of a transmission cover. It is not just stuck in a hole, it is part of the cover! Obviously this box nail fell into the sand when the mold was made and part of the nail protruded into the molten cast iron when it was poured and has remained there (until now) some nearly 90 years. nail in iron
This starter cover would be from 1919 to 1924 years

nail in iron 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Proof that someone trying to use wooden bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Jack

What you have there is a rare prototype hogshead.

Suspect that was the work effort in testing by József Galamb. He was experimenting with the plans to add an 'oil slinger' to the cover, that would help splash the oil over the transmission better.

Later it did work out, and all hogsheads from 1924 on had that lump added......

...a feature made possible by experimenting with nails placed in the castings, like the one you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Well at least is wasn't the Mafia having guys "Fall into " the bologna machine.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Oh wow! Very interesting. Reminds me of a cylinder front cover I have with an obvious casting void which must have caused a hard to find oil leak. I'll try to find it for a picture.

Yes Jack, quality wasn't job #1. I think that the mantra was leaning more towards: "If it runs then out the door with it".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:53 am:

'Until now' ... Please don't tell me the nail was grounded off....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:02 am:

I think it was a place to hang your coat as it's such a sweaty job changing transmission bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

If it were mine, I would grind it off and replace it with an E-Slinger, just to piss off all the guys with NOS air in their tires.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nino Knobloch on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

I think perhaps the nail was used to fix the core (sand) at the casting process?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:44 am:

That's it Nino. You nailed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Nails were used to hold cores in place, I have found them in heads before. First real job I ever had was in a foundry making up floor molds for wood heaters, all the mold frames had nails driven all in them to hold the cores in place. Sometimes one would get loose in the casting. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration