Full Race Spindles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Full Race Spindles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:28 am:

When were the spindles with the full race behind the bearing changed to the straight sides?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Warren,

I believe you are asking when did the shoulder on the spindles change from basically round to having a flattened area on both sides to make it easier to remove the bearing race. At the 2005 posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/34124.html Ken Kopsky posted the photo below. He indicated approximately 1919ish for the change. On the left the round shoulder, in the middle the flattened shoulder, and on the far right the flattened shoulder on the 1926-27 spindle that helped lower the “Improved cars.” That photo was also posted recently if I recall correctly.

On page 26 of “Model T Ford Parts Identification Guide vol 1” Gail Rodda shares the change occurred 1917 or 1918. When the previously round shoulders were now made with flats to make it easier to remove the bearing race.

And I looked but I did not see that feature listed in the MTFIC Judging Guidelines 6th edition. Does anyone have any information from the “change cards” or “factory drawings” that might help narrow down that time frame some?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:35 am:

I think I said "Pre 1919" ish. :-) But I would trust Gail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:02 am:

And here I thought I was going to learn about some recently found speedster accessory !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:18 am:

me too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Is this what you wanted to see?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration