Tire blew while not in use.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tire blew while not in use.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

On Saturday I noticed my Runabout in barn had a low right rear tire. So I filled the tire to 60-62 psi. Quick look around the rim and all looked well. I closed the barn and went about working on my TT Fire truck in the garage. Garage is about 100 feet from the barn. Sunday afternoon while in, the garage again working on the Fire truc, I heard what I thought was a gun shot behind the barn. After accounting for all the grandchildren I noticed my son 100 yards away out looking at the back of his house. He thought something struck his roof. I walked around the barn and finding nothing I went back to the Fire Truck. It is a bit rural where I am an gunfire is really not that rare. This one just sounded a bit close.
During the night I got to thinking about airing that tire. So Monday morning about day light I opened the barn to find a blown tire on the Runabout. About one quarter of the tire blown over the rim. I felt inside an tube in in shreds.
All I can say at this point is that I am truly glad it waited until I was not putting air in the tire. Might not have hurt me but it sure would have not done my heart or hearing any good.
No idea why picture turned but I cant get it upright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Very odd, was the flange on that rim ground back to remove a sharp edge some time in the past? Maybe there wasn't enough meat left to firmly hold the tire bead.

Glad nobody was hurt. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Sounds very similar to what happened to me a couple weeks ago and discussed here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/513787.html?1423341799

I bought a NEW rim and tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Maybe the gauge was faulty and you put more then 60 LBS in. Maybe the bead was not fully seated. Does not look like the bead separated from the tire but can't see if it's cut or not in the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

I haven't had the chance to do much diagnostics on my situation. I cant get my fingers in to even try to feel the rim edge yet. In next day or so I will take it off and demount the the tire and take a closer look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

If your memory is like mine, it would be a good idea to make a mark on the rim at each end of the separated area so that you'll know where to examine the rim after the tire and tube have been removed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Real good idea. Usually I wish I had done something like that when it is too late. Got the yellow mark out now. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Exact thing happened to a friend of mine with the only exception being that the tire was a clincher on an early motorcycle.

The friend had aired-up the tire the previously day. We were standing about 6 feet from the bike when the tire blew. Needless to say, we were both looking for the crimson creep eminating from the hole(s) in our torsos that we had yet to feel the pain from. Luckily, no blood. That's when he remembered airing-up that tire.

Three year old tire with very low miles. Don't know what condition the rim is in yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

This is why I use a stand off inflater (home-made) it lets me stay about 5 foot away from the tire being inflated. Larnt that lesson real good working at a truck stop and filling a split rim that didn't seat properly stay safe when working with tires!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

At Ken Meek's funeral we drove our 25 touring in the funeral procession. We got to the cemetery and all the cars parked on the road and we walked to the grave. All of a sudden I heard a cannon go off by the cars. When I walked back to look I saw the right rear tire had blown off the rim like your tire in your picture.
I just replaced the tube, put the tire back on and drove it another couple of thousand miles without problems.
Don't know why it happens, but it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Mike - I had the same thing happen on this old Indian motorcycle many years ago. I put new Coker clincher tires on it. One day I rolled it out of the garage into the back yard. About 20 minutes later - BLAM! The front tire blew off the rim just sitting there. I think it has to do with how the repro MC tires are made. I have since changed to drop center rims for safety.

indian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Nice 101 Indian. I've got a '28 just like it...I'd post a picture but I don't know how.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

Steve,

The tire I spoke of was on a Harley of similar vintage. I'm not entirely sure of the maker, so I won't make assumptions here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Mike - I understand. There weren't a lot of tire choice back then, probably the same today.

Bruce - thanks, but it's not a 101, it's a '28 Chief. But they do look very similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

OT a bit but related. There is an article in World War II March/April about a recent visit to Kiska in the Aleutions where the Japanese set up a base in WWII. A picture showed a Toyoda truck left by the Japanese. The rear tires were still inflated - American made Dunlaps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

The problem is that's not a clincher. Only the clinchers should be inflated to 60-65psi. Demountables should be inflated to 30-35 tops. You are lucky not to have that tire or pieces of it wrapped around your face. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

Sometimes tires and/or tubes just give up. Many years ago I bought a 1913 Model T that had been stored for a long time and was sitting on two, flat rear tires. When I went to get the car, I pulled a couple of old wheels and tires from my stash and filled them up with air. They seemed to hold air just fine, so I had planned on replacing the wheels on the 1913 with these so I could have an easier time loading the car and pushing it around. I put the my wheels and tires in my van and on the way to get the car, I heard an explosion that scared the sh%t out of me and I almost got in a wreck pulling the van over. I really did not know what was happening and/or who or what was shooting at me. I pulled over and ran from the van. When my nerves calmed down and when I noticed the van had not exploded. I carefully checked around for bullet wounds, etc. I opened the back door and there was cloud of dusty smoke. One of the tires blew a hole the size of an apple right through the sidewall. Let me tell you, the echo from the explosion inside the van was deafening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Ken. Don't you mean balloon tires instead of demountables and isn't that tire a clincher?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

I think you're right on all accounts. I don't know what I was thinking. Must be the drugs I'm on. :-) I'm over the flu but the sinuses are acting up. "Better living through chemistry". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 07:58 am:

I'm glad someone changed out the clincher rims on my '28 101 scout to drop center rims before my time. Clincher tire explosions can be scary, but even more so on a motorcycle. Sounds like a nice salute for Ken Meek in Steven T's story though.

Odd tool box(?) placement on your 101, Steve B?
Usually they have a generator drive on the transmission case and a generator under the saddle? Maybe your magneto has a generator in it? There is one in my Bosch magdyno used on exports to europe:
magdyno

(Message edited by Roger K on February 17, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Sorry to drift OT.

Roger - its not a 101, its a 74 Cu. In. Chief. The generator is below the magneto and is gear driven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Aha, cool bike Steve. The Chiefs are so rare over here so I've only seen earlier and later ones.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration