'T' Owners - City Dwellers, Suburbs, or Country Location?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 'T' Owners - City Dwellers, Suburbs, or Country Location?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

After looking through the 'Show your shop' thread, I find myself envious of the space & equipment! (A large shoe-horn works best in my 26X24 shop...) Then, I wonder about having the space to even have that kind of building... So, do the 'T' owners find it best in the city, suburbs, or need to be country folk??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

I live in a small house in the suburbs of Dayton, Ohio, with a two-car attached garage.

I started with a pile of parts. Did most of the work in my basement shop (also furnace room).

Then I assembled the car in my two-car garage.

Of course, with the Speedster done, it stays in the garage, and my truck gets parked outside year round now. Problem is, I have no room for any more Model Ts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Country! Hands down. Peaceful, quiet, and room for a barn. Only now I need a bigger barn. Will be adding on to mine in the next couple of years. With heat! You're also already right in the "heart" of perfect T driving territory with such little traffic to bother you.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, in MN. on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

I like both. In the city an oversized 3 car garage 30'x26' and a new cabin garage 38'x 24'. With six antiques, a Tahoe, a Cad, a pontoon and the kids toys, I should have built a 60'x24' at the cabin. No matter how big you build it, you wish it was larger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

I currently live in a small wood frame house on the family farm. Space to built something is not the problem, money to do it is a problem.
I still have cattle as my dad did before me. We did go to the large round bales of hay some years back replacing the very small square bales. The large bales are stored outside so we now have the old hay barns empty leaving me some space to store cars and parts.
The next generation is also into cars (Mostly T) and that creates a problem. The two of them (My sons) can fill any size barn faster than more sheds can be built.
What I am trying to say is that there are problems regardless of where you live.
Somehow you have to live within your means and enjoy life as best as you can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Wish i had room my 1st t i did living in a one bedroom studio apartment witch had a deck just big enouf for a biult up chassis i had get permission take down the fence get it out
Nw i got 2 car garage in a town home aleast theres a roof over my head but it full of junk besides the t and wifes car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Downtown San Diego! We barely have room to turn around, let alone have room for a garage! (I assembled the carb in the bathroom!) Getting the T's up to the 21st floor is a real you know what :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

I enjoy the luxury of living on the old family farm. In addition to the sufficient space for a barn and other buildings, some advantages are: sitting on the front porch swing on a summer evening and enjoying a cooling breeze while the folks in town are sweltering; looking out from said porch and seeing a field and trees and sky; plenty of free firewood; lower cost of living (my water bill from the RWD is $20 most months); ability to have some stuff stored outside without being pestered to get rid of it, because nobody can see it; room for a garden if I ever have time for it; lots of nearby roads good for Model T driving. I could probably think of more, but those are a few things that occur to me now. As the cliche says about NYC (or any other big city), nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. The city has wonderful dining, museums and galleries, revival theaters, etc., etc. But if you live there you don't do those things every day. What you do every day is put up with the traffic, ugly surroundings, and other urban inconveniences. Voice of experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

I live on 5 acres in the country with a 40x50 heated shop, an 18x28 heated garage, and a 24x24 attached garage. I have about 2-1/2 acres not being used for anything that I plan to build an oval dirt-track on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

My work was in the city so suburbs for me. While more space would be nice I like the convenience of the city and it's facilities nearby. Garage space is limited - I get "my" side of what looks like a 2 car garage but is 53' deep. My wife gets a single stall for her car and the rest of "her" side is inside the house. I have to shuffle cars to get them out but 2 T's and an old Volvo fit pretty well with room for work benches and tools. The satisfaction factor is best when my wife's modern car can stay inside. It only gets kicked to the curb when there is a larger project underway. A couple years ago I had a minor heart attack. 30 minutes from the time we called 911 at 1:00 AM I was in the operating room getting stents. The doctor said timing was critical in it being a relatively minor event vs. not good at all. That made me appreciate where we live even more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Derek, I'm trying SO hard not to hate you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

I live in the sticks on 40 acres. It's 55 miles to the nearest stop light going west and 100 miles to one going east. I like it quiet and remote. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

I learned long ago to quit whining about too little space and use the space you do have available. (I wasted a lot of time bitching about not having enough space, time that could have been spend actually doing something). We live in the suburbs and I have a standard two car garage and another two car car-port on the side of the house. I have restored a Crosley , a Model A Ford, a 1928 Indian and more vintage motorcycles in that space as well as build and run a dirt track stock car (Camaro) and a IMCA dirt modified. Currently , I have a second Model A under restoration and my new (to me) Model T in the garage. Luckily, we have a second house about a mile away where my son lives so we were able to move the race car operation over there as well as keeping my '28 Roadster PU there. It would be nice to move out from the city except for two factors, money and a wife that likes the close in conveniences. I this point, I feel fortunate that we have what we do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

30x40 shop with my house and 10 Acres of West Virginia Mountain ground. I'm at 1100 feet elevation and you have to use the Low band just to climb my driveway. Every run we take is all hills... nothing is level. You learn what a Model T can really do. And I don't believe in Kevlar bands... all Scandinavia.

But you can run roads for miles without encountering another car and the scenery is nothing short of spectacular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

I live in the country and have 21 acres. I have 20X30 shop with a 10 foot enclosed side shed for the machine shop. I also built the car barn (still in progress) It is 32X38. with a 10X38 foot shed on the rear for the tractor and some stuff That does not get used much. (like the hydraulic press). Living in Arkansas in the country there are little to no restrictions and I do not need to have permits to build anything. I just build it. I used all salvage material for the shop, barn, and even a good portion of the house. Other than using "old tin" for the sides of the shops, to make them look old. Most people can not believe most of the materials are salvage. Add everything Steve said above, and it makes the country the "only" place I will ever live. Our entire taxes for personal and property is less than a thousand a year, and most of that is because of the "fayettiville Shale Natural Gas Royalities and mineral rights" If it was not for the gas stuff our taxes would be about 250.00 per year. (we are "grandfathered in" and have homestead taxes. As Oliver Wendel Douglas said " green acres is the place for me"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

10 acres in the country, about half wooded and a 2 acre pond. Lots of wild life. Previous owner built a 48 X 32 building that he was going to work on cars in. (Before the divorce.) Too big for me to try and heat so I enclosed and insulated a 24 X 16 work shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Gary, I'll come get that building if you don't want it. :-)

I'm in the sticks and about 3.5 miles from the nearest town of 2500 (Lytle). I have what started as a 28 X 32 barn on acreage and several (5) 10x10 sheds used for storage and plating. There's barely enough room to keep isles cleared so some of the larger shop tools reside outside until needed in the shop. I pass them through the 10x10 doorway using the crane on a small crawler. Then have to reattach the parts that aren't weather resistant. About every flat surface has parts or projects stacked three deep. What's not stacked is hanging from the rafters. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

We have a total of 2 acres barely within the village limits.
There is a park to the north, fields to the east and south and our neighbors to the west are underground.
The satellite dishes and control shed are gone now.
It's as close as one can get to country living while still being within the village.......we love it here.
The 40' 80' shed is not a workshop........its a dry, un-insulated steel shed but I had a 10' 16', super insulated, man cave built inside the shed.
I can work out here only when weather permits and I can't wait...... :-O

Our land

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

Big city guy here. Always have been, probably always will be. House is small but the property is a rare, large one for the central city and in one of the best areas. My main regret is being garage deprived making it hard to work on the car in winter. I might build a garage soon as I have the land to do so. As I age, I yearn for the small town life. Probably won't happen.The hard part is choosing which town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

I'm sure I'm not a country guy, nor am I truly a big city guy either. I live in the Northeastern end of the San Fernando Valley, in the city of Sylmar, and I'm on the outskirts of it up in a canyon next to the Pacoima Dam.
The house is modular, the property isn't big, hell the yard is a postage stamp compared to the rest of you guys. But I do have a garden made out of kitty litter buckets (they work really well, they're plastic, deep and have a handle in case you want to move them), and a out building that I've built 3' x 20', just enough to store junk in and get it out of garage (more room for the T :-)).
But the roads around here, are amazing for driving a Model T on. We have big towns, and small towns, country towns and towns that just one building. all within a fairly short driving distance of where I live. Santa Clarita and Valencia are just over the hill from me and driving the Old Road is a really nice drive through the hills.
Around where I live, you're more likely to see road apples on the sidewalks than people, there are about 20 stables, breeding farms and riding schools (one teaches trick riding for the movie studios), but even so, it's still more country here than you'd find anywhere else in LA.
I know what Steve's referring to, hell this is still Los Angeles County after all. The 210 freeway is just down the hill from me and if you jump on it you can get to the 2, 5, 14, 118, 405 and 134 depending on which direction you go.
I myself would like to find someplace smaller maybe or at the very least different... but more specifically out of California!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Donnie mentioned something I neglected when I listed things I like here. Several years ago when I put up the building that's now my shop, I had one inspection. A guy from the city/county health department came out and verified that the place isn't in a flood plain. Being outside the city limits, after that I was totally on my own. I could have built the thing out of mashed potatoes, and the county wouldn't have known or cared. I build things better than some contractors do, but I like not having to wait for inspections and approvals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Used to live in the country, Could drive any old car or tractor in any manner you liked because there was nobody around. Now i can't find room to sit down let alone store anything. Not living in the country anymore yet i have not moved, Everyone else has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:03 am:

This place used to be in the country but now its the burbs. I can still drive my T all around town and to work without getting run over. I have moved to a tract house and built a 20' x 55' covered patio in the back yard that my T has taken over as its own. I have a two car garage but between my wife's car, my motorcycles and all my tools there is only room for the T on weekends when we kick the wife's car out. Born and raised in So. Cal. and still love it. I don't like the way it is being run but I'll stay put for now. My T is my tow car for my motorhome when we go out. P.S. I think you guys on this site are great. Thanks for all your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:44 am:

All the busy streets around here are at least 4-lane, so we never have to rush. Been in the same T era house 41 years, so not about to move. Plans are near final to add 27x33 garage with handicap room over top, and a wheelchair lift. May be too late.

Good friend and neighbor Gene Carrothers slid under the house today and shored up a pier that was sagging. I don't trust that kind of work to just anybody.. Thank you Gene!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 01:25 am:

I'm 15 miles out of town, very little flat land on the place, but have stacks of "spare parts" where no one sees them, OTOH, lost 7 trees in recent windstorms (missed hitting anything) so that's been eating up my "spare" time.

down tree

tree & shed
fallen trunk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:33 am:

Just a short hop to town but enjoying the lack of neighbors. A old farm house and land locked so no possibility of ever getting neighbors. We live in a basin that receives the lest amount of snow in the state. The Saginaw Bay is about two miles away as the crow fly's, and the summer heat is beat off by the cooling effect of the bay. It ain't paradise to most but we love it. I even get asked to help out the area farmers with their harvest seasonally. Got to love driving those big a#@ tractors !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 07:45 am:

Cross over I live in Jacksonville but I found a place that has 1.2 acres so I built a 30x40 garage in the back.Most of the roads in the immediate vicinity are 2 lane black top but within 3 miles in any direction you are in HEAVILY travelled roads. If I get caught on one of them in rush hour I get some one finger salutes and some I Phone pictures taken when I do go on main roads I have a modified magnetic trailer light kit to make me more visible!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:04 am:

I live in far northwestern Wisconsin's lake country. The pic of my place nestled in the trees is courtesy of Google Earth. The garage is 24'x48'. Yes, it is packed with stuff to the point that I have been talking with zoning and adding on. I tell everyone I am 60 miles from anywhere. To get to "civilization" requires a minimum of an hour drive. My driving is primarily on little used rural roads, however on summer weekend and holidays it's a different story. Then being only 90 miles from the Twin Cities, this place in inundated with weekenders and tourists who all seem to be in a hurry to get everywhere. So, just to be safe, I stay off the roads until they migrate back home. Don't know how long I'll stay here. Kinda getting the itch to roam again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Live in the country , wouldn't have it any other way .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:34 am:

Don,Aint nothing better than Beet season!!Does the tractor you drive have steering off a sattelite?? I don't know if i will drive this year as i,m getting old but i usually drive a 18 speed with 34' 3 up 3 down! Bud on small farm,pond,two car garrage,28x48 pole barn with a 12x48 lean too. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Hi Bud, the tractor I had this year on the Meyer Farm was not equipped with anything but my short fat arms. They did lay the fields out (2000 acres) with a Sat system. The problem was it was off a Russian satellite and the Rushkies shut the satellite down. All the data was lost and everybody was on manual mode. The Meyer farm was part of the homestead act. They have the original document in a frame in the main barn. It was the original signed by Abraham Lincoln in 1864 (?). Pretty awesome to see his actual signature on it. Fun stuff!

This tractor was a only $758,000.00 without the beat hoppers. I wanted two!! One for me and a spare for the heck of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:36 am:

We have one acre in San Diego County mountains. Our town has about 15,000 and is 15 miles from the edge of the "big" city. We are at the last house at the end of the road and everything beyond is mountains.

We started out 41 years with a 2 car garage attached to the house, then when I retired and the hobby got bigger, we built the "Model T Garage". This garage holds 3 Model T's and my wife's Buick. We might get 5 Model T's in if we squeezed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Worked in the city (Highland Park, MI) and lived in the burbs (Orion Township) for almost 39 years. Thought I would be in the country when I bought the lot in a subdivision in 1967 and built on it in 1973, but the people and accompanying traffic caught up with me. Both SWMBO and I wanted to get out of the Metropolitan area when we both didn't work any more. We had doubts about pulling that off the way the real estate market was after 2008. We wanted 5 acres, would be tickled pink with 10. In late 2011 we found a bank foreclosed house on 20 acres, about half wooded, near Bellaire, MI, that we could afford. We are on a paved road just over two miles from the grocery store, and we are pretty much surrounded by golf courses that morph into ski resorts in the winter time. We can see only one neighbor's house across the road. One quiet summer evening I sat on the front porch enjoying a cool drink, and it took 25 minutes for a car to pass by. The garage here was smaller than the on we had before, and that was full. With a 300 yard driveway, and being in the snow belt, we had to add a tractor and a snow blower and needed room for the front end loader when the snow blower was on the front. A barn was needed badly. Had a 42 x 60 built, with an 8 foot overhang on the west side, where I now stack firewood. There is plenty of it in the woods, but I don't know how long I'll be able to harvest it by myself. The sad part is that my '26 Touring, that I bought in 1957, is not here, I dare say, yet, but that is a long story for another day.
In spite of the 40 mile trip to Munson Hospital in Traverse City, we love it up here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Roar, Know the area well. We used to visit friends in Bellaire when we lived south of Charlevoix between Atwood and Norwood. When I retired we moved down state to be near family but still miss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

About 15 yrs ago we decided to "move out" in the country. We located a farmette with a 900 sq ft 1939 house. The ground was slopped to the back and the 1st thing I did was to get the county to tell me how big a building I could erect.

So I built a 5000 sq ft main building, and 1000 sq ft attatched machine shop and a long enclosed lean too for my slide bed tow truck.

The best part is with the slope from the house to the back where my barn is completely hidden from the road in front, total privacy. After the buildings were finished, we then remodeled the house to make it more comfortable.

The main building is large enough to have a spray booth, 2 2 post hoists to store my wife's loud and fast modern cars and a 4 post hoist for restoration work. I store 9 cars in the main building with lots of room to get around.

In the machine shop there is enough room to have a complete model t plus all the machine tools, plus a welding room.

I heat all buildings for free with the used motor oil supplied by my wife's Subaru Service Centers and a used motor oil furnace. All I have to do is haul the oil and store it on site.

Was sorry I did not build the main barn 2 stories high like the Pennsylvania barns, then I could have more car storage space, hind sight is 20/20

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:50 am:

Gary,
As I said, we love it up here. It is a beautiful area, and our friends and family downstate love to come up and visit. It's a win, win! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Roar - I have an old friend that lives near Leland, Michigan and he puts out something called "The Leland Report" on a daily basis. You're probably aware of it, but if not, you might Google "The Leland Report" as I'm sure it would be of interest to you, if for no other reason than the fantastic photography! I know that several years ago, it had over 5,000 subscribers (including me) and I'm sure it has grown since then! FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

I was born and raised in the suburban Chicago area, and sorta' got "hooked" on these old Fords while in high school there (first car while in HS was Model A) in the '50's. Moved to Western Montana with the railroad and lived there in the '70's (and acquired first Model "T" there) but moved to present location between Seattle & Tacoma in 1980. All three locations have their advantages and disadvantages, however, I am very happy where I am right now as I have all the "big city" advantages, but can be out in relative wilderness within "Model T range" within 20 min or a half hour. Too much Seattle/Tacoma traffic, however, being retired, I can pick & choose the time of day for Model "T" driving on any number of "back roads". Lots of Model "T" folks and Model "T's here too! I'm a firm believer that no place is perfect, but being retired, we think that where we are now is a good compromise in many ways,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Actually, I lied in my previous post above, and I'd like to take this opportunity to say to all, including all the southern California folks that are now fleeing California, that the Pacific Northwest is actually a terrible place! It rains every day, the mud is knee-deep, and the slugs are carnivorous, and it's actually a terrible place to live!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Harold, that's exactly why this Oregon native is staying down here. You forgot the dark winters. The only worthwhile time in the PNW is when the blackberries are ripe.

There have been a lot of years when this Model T era house has made more money than I have. There have been other years, too, of course. My property taxes are $1200 a year. I have neighbors paying that much a month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Yup,we have about the same in property taxes but the Wind Farm pays them!! Bud.Harold,We have visited and spent a week in Mount Vernon. Anywhere close?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Harold,
I am not familiar with The Leeland Report. I have to look into that. There are four bodies of water between me and the Leelanau peninsula; Lake Bellaire, Torch lake and the East and West Grand Traverse Bays. I do get over to Suttons Bay occasionally, but having to drive around all that water, through Traverse City, makes it a long drive. SWMBO is nagging me about going to the Sleeping Bear Dunes, so we will obviously get over there again.
When I bought my T, Model As were still in common use for transportation. Ts weren't. My dad and his brother had an AA in their business, and I had two uncles that drove As to get places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Eatonville,Wa on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

Escaped from So. Cal. in 2013 to 8.6 acres in western Washington with a 2 acre pond 2 acre pasture and lots of big Fir and Cedar trees. Log house, large barn,small barn oversized 2 car garage and a 25x58 shop.Not paradise but as close as i have ever been to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

If you live in the city I'm in the country. If you live in the country I'm in the city. More countrified than my old Staten Island haunts for sure. Got cows and goats and plenty of smaller farms near by if that counts for any thing. 2 big lakes on the development grounds and it's the only place in N.J. I can actually break the posted speed limit in a T. 25MPH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

I live near Down Town Bakersfield Ca. My family has been here since 1914. This is a picture of the first house Built by White people in 1860.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

You can say what you want about the pacific NW Oregon area but I doubt there are many better. With two acres and a lake in my front and back yard at the end of a dead end street with three homes one mile from the best shopping on the Oregon coast with more big outlets being built as I write my bride is happy as well as my self. For a mile north the Oregon land conservatory has it nothing will be built! For a half mile east a lake, cemetery, and old 101 or main street before the high school. South is another lake, west the pacific ocean. With about 1800 square foot of insulated heated shop and 625 foot garage its enough for T work.
How many have elk, deer, salmon, crab, clams,bottom fish, and more next to there home.
Every summer a million Portland folk come down for what is here all the time!
Except for lack of water I like northern California. The southern part seems like lots of folk going over the speed limit for something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Paul, you get about 80" rain a year?

Yeh, Oregon has a lot going for it. Are they running short of water east of the Cascades?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

I don't know about east of the cascades but we might be short of water west in the valley if we don't get more snow or have a wet summer!
When I bought my house back in 87 I had to get into what I could afford at the time, so what I could find was in town. I had to go with an owner carried contract. I have a home as long as I can keep the payment up. :-) With the job market, economy the way it is and my age, I'll have to stay. No room for a real shop so I do with what I have, which is too small anyway.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration