Ruckstell fiber thrust washer question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ruckstell fiber thrust washer question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

When using the fiber thrust washer what is the clearance? I am putting together a Ruckstell, the fiber washer is in good shape so I plan on using it. When I bolt the whole assembly together to about full tightness the insides don't want to turn. The club book list a clearance but I am not sure if that is for using the steel washer or both.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

I just finished rebuilding mine. The thrust washer between the axles is just one of a few places throughout the assembly that together, must total up to about .006" axle end play. One fiber washer was too thin, and two washers were too thick. I machined a new one out of bronze for the correct clearance (see p.29 of Glen Chaffin's Ruckstell book). I have enough bronze stock to make one if you need it. Give me a call or email.

- Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

I used a thin slice of Delron. You can buy it from. Mcmaster Carr. Just sliced it off with a bandsaw. I cut a few pieces in various thicknesses and it worked great. It wont compress and is a naturally slippery material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Thanks for the reply's so far, not the axle fiber washer the fiber washer in the Ruckstell bell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:07 am:

The original thickness of those is .105". They are not the same size as a standard steel thrust washer. They had the two holes for the pins, but aren't really necessary, because it will float on the axle gear. I use fiber washers in all of my Ruckstells. We plan to make them some day, but just haven't gotten around to it. I usually wind up with about .005" clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

What's wrong with using a steel thrust washer?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Nothing is wrong, I have done two. In this case the original Ruckstell fiber thrust washer is still there and in good shape so I am going to use it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration