Clinch nuts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clinch nuts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Where is there to get replacement clinch nuts. Everyone is saying to get your stuff from Lang's, and Snyders. But they don't list them in their books, or on line. if you search it on their sites, they say "nothing found".

Mac's has them. Looks like the only place that lists them. Any other ideas where to get them. I need 39 of them! 24- 10/32's and 15- 12/24's. Along with all the screws, and rivets I need.

Shouldn't have to call them, when they have ordering books, and web sites. I want to get it all from one place.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

I didn't find them in my older Mac's catalogue, but Google found some here:

http://www.zoro.com/i/G1719995/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_ca mpaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=CImWgJOU58MCFYI_aQodaw4AWw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

i guess i missed something!!where do you use these on a mod t?????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Maybe that's why they're not in the Model T catalogues. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Those aren't used anywhere on the Model T.

Are you talking about "D-Nuts"?

They're listed in the Model A section at Snyder's.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modelaparts/dnuts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

I should clarify that the style in Steve's link aren't used in the Model T. The D-nuts are used all over the place on the 26-27 closed cars. I don't know why they don't list them in T sections but some of weather striping is the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Pat,

Maybe there's a different name for what you want?

Is your need pictured here :

https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=D%20nuts&page=1

?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

This is a D-nut. It's a type of cinch nut.
Lang's doesn't carry them.

They're installed similar to rivets. You need a bucking bar and a ball set to install them. Once the flange is flared you can use a flat set or hammer to finish the install if you don't have the correct set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

Clinch nuts are what Ken said, they are all over a '26-27 closed car "T". I don't know about other years. They are a "clinch" nut "D" shaped ones. Mac's does list them in the sizes I need plus more. I did not search "D nuts" But I did search them at Lang's, and Snyder's, and didn't come up with them.
I guess I was be to technical with the name.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_t/clinch-nut-cadmium-12-24.html

I was trying to find them other then Mac's.

Thanks for the replies, and looking.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Snyder's has them. I've bought over a hundred in various sizes from them. Use the link I posted above. Or, if you don't want to click on links, go to the Model A index and click on "D-Nut" in the index table.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

They are for the header plate screws, the dash screws, door hinges, body hinges, footman loops, body trim, interior mirror. Any where there is a screw into metal.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Just love this Forum and the folks that take time to explain things.

Learn something new every day - thanks guys for today's lesson !

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Clinch, clinch, clinch. Don't know why I kept typing cinch. Must have been thinking of horses. :-)

Some of the locations are near impossible to get the D-nut inserted from the backside much less get a bucking bar on it. I've ground the flange down on a few then tack welded them in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Dave,
I'm always learning stuff on here, even things that I didn't think I had to know!

I still want to find out how, Don Booth gets a coupe onto it's side, and back without harming it!!!

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Pat,
He uses a Sky Hook--think he got it from ACME Products, endorsed by Wile E. Coyote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:26 am:

You could use an old mattress or a bunch of old sofa cushions.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration