Kingston carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Kingston carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Hi,

I just bought this Kingston carburetor and I would like to use it on my 1911 Touring which have a 1925 Canadian engine (C546836). I would like to have the right year engine but my wallet is not sufficient to buy one...

I would like to know if this Kingston carburetor is a good one with this engine? I also like to know a name or reference who made good carburetor restoration at reasonable price?

Kind Regards,

Mario

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:06 pm:

It's a Kingston L, from just after the 15 model (15 had the slight flare at the end).

Long term the question should be, who will do a good job and what will that cost? Then save until you can pay it. Going the cheap route on a carb rebuild may have you paying for it more than once. Doing it right takes time, and the rebuilders are a business that needs to make money for their time. My recommendation isn't cheap, and that's Stan. I've got my 4th carb with him now. What you get for the cost is a carb that will run, and if you do have trouble he will make it right, period.... Six months, a year, whatever. So you can spend less somewhere I am sure, and get a few months warranty, then pay again when you have an issue with it.
If you want to save money you can get the Carburetor book from the club and give it a shot yourself. You will save money and will learn in the process. I did a couple of common carbs that way with reasonable results. Your model L is a common carb, so if you do mess it up you're not ruining something rare. But the odds are you can do it and make it run fine. It isn't a 5 ball or Stromberg, just a basic T carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Thanks Gary, I'm trying to get to your 5 ball before I have to leave for a big Buffalo auction in South Dakota this weekend.

Incidentally, I don't work on those carbs because I have so much work doing more challenging models that I can't justify spending my time on basic rebuilds.

I work on NH's, Holley G's and Kingston 4 ball's carbs but only for people who understand it is not the cheapest place to get the work done.

I also hate those Kingston L series carbs.

Also, I prefer to work for people who are not looking for the cheapest possible place to get something done, but for the best value for their money. I recently had a guy who wanted to send the money via paypal as a gift so I wouldn't have to pay the paypal fee; he would then deduct that amount from my charge for rebuilding his carb. I don't do business that way.

Mario, I would suggest you just do it yourself. That will be the cheapest route for you to go.

I have found over the 50+ years i have been in business for myself that the guy who is looking from somebody to do it cheap will be the first guy to complain if it isn't an absolute first class job with a 100 year warranty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Thank you guy's but I do not have any experience with carb and my understand of Carb is a very important part in Model T. Maybe you misunderstand me, I'm looking more reliability than pricing. And my question is this Kingston L is a good carb or I'm better with another kind? I am more looking for trouble free. I bought this one because it was in brass. Any comments or suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Mario, biggest problems with the Kingston L or L2 is the needle and seat. I have a good L2 but it has the gross jet in it, bad news for plugging and sticking. Also hard to get a gasket set for the L carb. The L2 carb looks the same as yours except the gas supply comes in the side instead of the bottom of the bowl. The Model T carbs overall are simple. Not much can go wrong except float level and not getting every bit of piping unplugged.
If you have a good original needle and seat chances are good you can make it work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Mario -- I have no experience with the Kingston L carb, but I have read others' posts here where they said it does not perform as well as the later L4 model.

One brass carb with which I do have a lot of experience is the Holley model G. During the first few years of their production, they were made of brass and one would give you the look you seek for your car. I have driven several thousands of miles with them on a '15, and they perform very well. You can find lots of posts here on the forum where folks praise their performance. They are not rare, so you could post an ad for one on the Classified section of this website and probably find one.

They are also fairly easy to rebuild. You'll need to buy a replacement float for it, but the vendors sell them. As others have suggested, the MTFCA Carburetor book is a good one which will guide you through the rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:25 am:

Russ Potter is often referred to here as the go to guy for Model T carbs. Here are a couple of threads where he is mentioned:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/179326.html?1293721069
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/360056.html?1367975366

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Stan and Russ,You are a summity in carb Restoration. I would like to have your opinion in having a brass carburetor start well and perform well on my Model T's. I know they have many carburetors but which one you think it will work efficiently and trouble free most of the time? The one is offering the best compromise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Stan has said before and will tell you that the best all around carb - most reliable, easiest starting, best idling, is far and away the Stromberg OF. Other carbs do different things better, but the OF is the best all around carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Ditto what Seth said. The brass Stromberg OF looks and runs great. If you want an inexpensive brass factory carb the Holly G is next up. I think the Kingston you have will be fine and an easy restoration but I have not done one.... I have 3 or 4 of them, all 1915s, that I'm going to sell just because I don't need them. I really think you would enjoy, and learn a lot about, the carb you have if you bought the book and gave it a shot. You really aren't risking much because it's not an expensive carb to begin with, and you can post pictures ad you progress and ask questions. I don't think there is anything wrong with that carburetor, and I know a lot of people used to run the Kingston L when I was a kid and loved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Mario,

Just be aware, if it matters to you, the OF that Seth mentions above is an aftermarket carburetor and not ever supplied by Ford.

Try contacting Russ Potter. He has many nice brass era T carbs, ready to go and not too crazy in price. Look up Potter's Piston Parlor.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration