Copper Topped Coils ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Copper Topped Coils ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

Cleaned up this top. Thought it was going to be brass, but copper . . ??
Only used solvent, won't polish to brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

It is brass, not copper; specifically a "red brass." They are pretty common, and kinda neat looking too, but in my experience most T owners prefer the yellow brass or the raven finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Thanks RV. Doing a set for my 14. Will be doing Yellow Brass. Guess I'll keep this for "Show 'n Tell at S & S's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

About 1/4 of the metal top coils that I have come across are red brass. They look nice when cleaned up. I might have a set of each color for sale at Chickasha, we'll see what happens between now and then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Here is a photo of three NOS Ford coils with red brass tops.
They came from a Ford dealer in Vermont and were rescued by an old friend in the early sixties and given to me in the mid 1990's.
The capacitors test like new,the points are Ford script. They work great.
Unfortunately there are only three.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Too cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

So do you have a 3 cylinder T???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

My understanding is that these metal topped coils were used from basically mid '13 to about early/mid '17. I know the earliest ones have a slightly different wooden case with the one side nailed only onto the surface around the top/bottom/front/back. This as opposed to being routed out and slid into place from the bottom and nailed only on the bottom/side.
What I wonder about, is there any solid information as to when the copper/brass were mostly used as opposed to the yellow brass?
For what it is worth, out of the dozen or so "brass topped" coils I have of both colors combined, the nicest original looking "early wooden case" coil I have had a copper colored top on it. One is not a good statistical analysis, and maybe it was changed years ago? And to counter that. I have more brass colored six screw tops than copper colored six screw tops. That one coil is I think the only copper colored six screw top I have. For those that do not know, the six screw tops are earlier than the four screw tops. But when all these changes were made approximately, I do not know.

Ron, Those look like a wonderful set (almost) of baseline coils to restore to. In fact, I think I shall go ahead and bookmark this thread (added to about 200 already bookmarked for reference) just for that photo. It shows what appear to be the proper points, springs, insulators, and knurled adjusting screws. Very nice indeed!
Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 05:49 am:

Wayne,

Ron Patterson and Trent Bogess wrote a history of the various coils. Just go to google and do a "MTFCA: brass top coil" search and I think it will come up. The 6 screw top was first: 4 screw next and if I remember correctly I heard the "red copper" ones were the last version. Hope that helps; its a great article

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Actually they clean up pretty good if you take the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

I think the general opinion is that the 6 screw version was made by both KW and Ford in the beginning but then Ford went to 4 screws on their while KW stayed with the 6 screw version. The red brass ones when cleaned up are really sharp looking. Ford was likely forced to stop using brass tops due to need for brass in WW1 and discovered that it was not really necessary.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration