Fatman Steering Wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fatman Steering Wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

I searched the forum and read the threads on Fatman steering wheels but didn't find a picture of the one I bought at the Tacoma Model T club swap meet this last weekend. Does anyone on the forum recognize it and able to provide any information on who made it?
Thanks!
Front viewBack viewExtended

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

I have one, unmounted as of yet, and have no info on it, or info on what goes in the center section. Let me know if you find out anything about this wheel. Thanks, Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

There was a horn button originally in the center. I don't recall the maker but I sold one like it to a friend a number of years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:37 am:

I have never found a name for these, but they are among my favorite fatman wheels for a model T. The first fatman wheel I ever had was one of these, and I still have it. I do need to do some work on it and do something with it. It was missing the latch handle when I got it. I used it without for awhile, then was told it had to be repaired to participate in a racing event. I cannot say anything bad against that. I quickly made a crude approximation of a latch handle, it worked. The racing event was wonderful fun!
I later, due to some special markings on the wheel, quit using it and put it aside for a few decades.
I have since gotten another one that is otherwise incomplete, but has a good correct latch handle. My hope is to put the correct latch handle into the nice wheel. Then maybe I can find a permanent home for the wheel.

I have had three of them. Currently have two, and seen a few others over the years. But I have never found the maker name for them. They do have a hole drilled in the center piece for a horn wire. The center is meant to have an escutcheon plate to cover the shaft and nut. It may have had the horn button on it or it may have allowed the horn button to stick up through the center. That I do not know.

Unlike the Spencer and several others, these and the Bauers were made especially for model Ts and did not use an adapter to fit the desired car. Whoever made them. I think these are my favorite fatman wheels.
Yours looks very nice.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 01:07 am:

Thanks for all the great information. I will figure out what would look correct to cover the center and see about making one.

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

That wheel is a FOX.

Famous maker of steering column locks, and wheels, and locking wheels, and combo tilt/locking wheels in many styles.

The one Ronald has is this one:

page from FordOwner & Dealer, May 1923

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Sorry Dan T. I guess I am being extra contrary this week or something. First I disagree with the Brass Car Guy, and now you. Both of you are people who's opinions I respect and look forward to.
The wheel shown by Ronald B is quite different from the one shown in the ad you posted. It could very well have been made by the same company. But a different model.
One of the characteristics of his (and my) fatman wheels is the rather blockish shape of the spider spokes. I have seen a few non-fatman wheels with the same shape to them. I do not know if they were made by the same company or not, but they had no name on them either when I was able to look.
Do you have any more ads showing pictures of Fox wheels?
With apologies,
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

In both ads it is stated that one of the wheels available is a tilting one, which would be the one both Ronald and I have. The one shown appears to be a locking one. I can find no name or other marking on mine. Regards and thanks Dan for your good work. See you in Chickasha. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Wayne

Just seeing the ads seems to be the FOX, but don't have real time knowledge. Maybe someone has a complete FOX catalog that would help.

The 'new' model has that lever underside, but a round looking center. But maybe some earlier used a sq center, or was the sq. center of the wheel hub covered with a round center with the horn button.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:42 am:

That is closer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration