I have not posted anything about the speedster project in awhile. I also posted this by accident in the classifieds so now I get to re-do it all again, over here on the main forum... I am still waiting on the custom gas tank Im having made. I can not do much more on the rear deck/trunk area till I get it. I did make the rear deck sheet metal cover. I have found some old aged galvanize sheet metal to use to make the "new" panels with. It has about as many dents as the body does, so it should match pretty well I did all the work with basic sheet metal tools, clamps, angle iron, hammers, and homemade hammer forms. I also have a homemade bead roller and a four foot brake, but the brake was only useable for a few of the bends. The hole in the rear deck is large, because I have a 3 inch dropped rear cross member that will stick up thru it. Ill then make a cover for the hole. I also got around to making the battery/tool boxes. The 4 foot brake worked very well for them, as it is a box brake with removable fingers. Looking at the pics of the boxes it is hard to imagine them coming from the crappy sheet of metal. They are just sitting there for now. I will mount them with screws and bolts later. I have started working on the dash board and it is a pain in the ^&%$#. I hope to finish it tomorrow and Ill post pics of it later. Its slow, but finally coming together.
For the ones not familiar with my project, this photo is the closest picture Ive found of the body I have. So Im trying to build it like it. Ill have Disteel Wheels, It will be lowered 3 inches, and have a "skirt" over the frame.
Were you planning on painting her when you"re done? That galvanized patina with the rusted areas is beautiful looking - just perfect as it is.
Donnie, I really like the progress you made today. Very good work. The tool box is nice.
Ron, No the patina is what Im working so hard to save. I have looked at lots of ads and catalogs. About half of the ads or catalogs say the bodies are built with "anti-rust automobile steel" The only anti-rust I can think of from back then is galvanize sheet metal. You could also buy the bodies painted or bare. If painted, they were usually offered in "battle ship grey" "black" "red" "green" or "blue". Im hoping to get a good match on the "aged galvanize" and leaver her "bare" The body is fairly rough. Kinda like a "sack of walnuts" Im going to work out the worst of the dents, to an acceptable level and leave the well earned "patina" everywhere possible ..
The metal is fantastic looking Donnie!
Always loved this type of body speedster... Here is a similar (earlier) type I fancy...
I got the dash finished as far as I can go for now. I still have to "Tung Oil" it and drill 3 mounting holes, but that will wait till the final install of the dashboard. I made three "sacrificial dashes" from pine before I was close enough to go for the "expensive stuff" The Dash board is made of "Brazilian Teak" I got lucky at our local auction and bought enough "Brazilian Teak"to make at least 8 dashes from. and a bunch of White Oak and Ash 5/4 lumber all for the pricey sum of 35.00 The curved metal piece is the dashboard brackets and also forms the inner support for the windshield frame. That one piece was three days work. It was cut, welded, heated, twisted, tapered, blacksmithed, ground, drilled, and filed into submission. I still have to cut off some of the mounting screws and age the bolts but the building is over. I still may ad a starter button to the left of the steering wheel. The 26-27 instrument panel, the "idiot oil light" for the low oil switch, that is from an "eveready oiler setup. and the "swing-away" cigar lighter and ashtray are probably all I will have on the dashboard. Things are starting to come together, a little at a time.
I forgot to take a picture of the piece of scrap "Brazilion Teak" that I have tested the "Tung Oil" on. It is almost a perfect match for the steering wheel. The grain and color match very well.
Donnie, it is all looking fantastic. Great job!