Slightly OT -- What is This Called?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Slightly OT -- What is This Called?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Greetings All,

Well, I am having a brain cramp. I can't recall the name given to the type of removable collapsible windshield shown below. I've looked in some of my reference library and am drawing a blank. My cerebral decrepitude saddens me. Please help! Thanks in advance, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:44 am:

The car is a Metz! Circa 1913. I am not sure what to call the windshield. So I will check back to see if someone can give a definitive answer.
Nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:36 am:

We can make one up, how about a 'weather' or 'rain' or 'storm' or 'element deflector'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:32 am:

WhimpShield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 05:09 am:

It was called a "Cambridge" Windscreen or windshield.
Thanks to Chris Paulsen who knew the name in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/424827.html?1392687995

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Aha, Cambridge! Thank you, thank you. It is so aggravating to forget things.

Old age is tough. Your memory is the second thing to go.

What's the first?

I forgot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

A "weather front".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

I should have remembered that thread. I figured Chris P would be one to know the answer.
Thanks Roger!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Based on a casual internet search, the earliest reference I could find to the term "Cambridge windshield" online in Google Books is 1910 so the name and concept (a canvas or leatherette and celluloid windscreen sewn to a ridged metal arms or frame) probably dates from much earlier. Who knows, maybe the were originally used on buggies?

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22cambridge+windshield%22&btnG=Search+Books&tbm =bks&tbo=1

Period photo of a Cambridge windshield:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=5401

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

wind screen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration