Converting to quick change bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Converting to quick change bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin hawes on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 01:24 am:

converting to quick change bands whilst I have the hogs head off. In the t bible it mentions something about cutting the low speed shaft off by 7/8 inch. Not sure what they are meaning and don't want to do something wrong and screw it all up. can anyone assist with more info or a thread that exists on this process? 1924 all bands small. when I removed the bands that were in it, one was a quick change already but not sure where it was. The low band adjustment screw is still the old style so assume it was the brake or reverse. also it had brake pad lining I assume,as it had brass mesh embedded into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 06:30 am:

Kevin, up through 1925 the low speed shaft was long, went through both band ears and into a hole in the adjustment screw. No chance to remove the band without removing the hogshead even if it had a removable ear. With the removable ears there was a shorter low speed shaft and a new solid adjustment screw from the right - no hole, but a short stub of the same diameter as the shaft protruding to make sure the right band ear won't slip off.

You can modify an older hogshead so the removable ear can be used by cutting the shaft and glue/solder/braze the cut off piece in the hole of the old adjustment screw to make it look like the newer version - or you can just cut the shaft and replace the adjuster with a used one of the newer style.

Ford first instructed to cut the shaft 1-1/2" in a letter from june 1, 1925 when all production was running with removable ears. That was while 1925 style cars were still being produced. Later on july 28, 1925 Ford sent a new letter revising the instruction to cut 2-1/2" instead.
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc25.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Kevin

Here is an older post with pics of the parts to change, and the length of the low pedal shaft to remove for the quick change bands. The adj screw needs to be modified or get a new later screw for the quick change bands.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/406091.html?1386590814

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin hawes on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

thanks to you guys. that helps me out bunches. as a newbie I love the help from others who have been there! once again, thank you!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration