Installing a tail light lens

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Installing a tail light lens
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 07:43 am:

I have a taillight that lost it's red lens long ago. I have an old red lens, but can't figure out how to install it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:04 am:

What year tail light? Electric or kerosene?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Ed, depending on the year of your Model T, there's 4 or 5 different styles of tail lamp with different ways of keeping the red lens fixed to the light/lamp. Tell us so we can help you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Ed,

Can you post a picture of your tailight?

(194 kb or less in size to be accepted by the system)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

Details are needed to get a correct answer. Some lenses are held in place by a very simple metal snap-ring. They may be missing, but easy to make and not really obvious at first glance. Other lenses are crimped into a thin metal frame. If a lens is broken and falls out? It can be a very difficult task to very carefully open up the crimping and install a replacement lens. There are some tricks that sometimes work okay. Some lenses install from the inside, some install from the outside. Even in the common and all similar looking model T oil side and tail lamps, there are a few different rim constructions that make a huge difference in a correct answer.
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

The tail light is kerosene fired.I believe the lens is crimped in place from the inside. Here are some pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

let me try again,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

OK, I have to figure out how to shrink down the size of the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

how about this,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

tail light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Ed, are there any little ears sticking up in the back of the lens door? If so, you bend those over the lens. If not, you may have one of those that had a wire retainer (mine is like that) or you can wait for a swapmeet and buy one there.

It would be easier to see if you sized your picture at 6" x 4" at 110 DPI...the one you're showing is too small to see well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 06:13 am:

Is this bigger?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Yep, I don't see any attachment tabs in it, this is what mine looks like.

Notice the tabs, that's what yours is missing. Now if you have a frame inside the door, that holds the lens,

but you can't make it stay, that's held in with a wire retainer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 07:03 am:

Martin, thanks for your pictures. I think I am missing the snap ring, and the replacement lens is too big. I have a few other lenses that came from a friend's estate, I will look through them today. Thanks for the help

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration