Couldn't make it buzz

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Couldn't make it buzz
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:07 am:

Yesterday I was rebuilding a few coils and one I couldn't make it buzz or spark. Tried everything I could think about but no way.
This morning I took it apart and build it up again and look what I found.
Didn't see it yesterday, must be the pain killers I took for my back.
Now it buzz and spark on the HCCT.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:27 am:

It took 1/2 cup of coffee and finding my glasses, yikes! Seems like there were a few of those floating around a few years back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

OK, being a new guy, all I see is what looks like a points set. Please enlighten me so I know what to look out for. Also, any info on the 'Sparkite' points sets I see now and then?
Thanks and best regards. BE

(Message edited by brianeliason on February 17, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

Brian, the contact point on the under bridge is mounted upside down.
The points as they are in the photos are useless.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Saw a video by Ron Wednesday night at the Space City T's meeting. He had an example of that shown on his coil building video. Small world.

Andre,

Looks like you found one too.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

I got one of those once, as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Got it. Another one of those details that can ruin your day.
Thanks. BE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:18 am:

I have another example of something similar. This thing I am talking about used to be a regular feature visiting about 2 to 3% of all the points I bought. What would happen is that the coil would work fine for about 600 miles and then suddenly the coil would sputter and run somewhat goofy at lower speeds but really bad at high speeds. At first glance with the coil box lid off it appears that all 4 coils are sparking at the points and the engine idles somewhat. Closer inspection shows that one of the coils has a missing vibrator contact but because the tungsten point is somewhat thin and the coil was adjusted correctly at the beginning the sudden departure or the coil contact off the lower vibrator results in the vibrator itself acting as the lower point but of course the contact is erratic and there is a loss of vibrator tension so the coil is running weak too. Ron Patterson put me on to this one. It happened on a tour in my own car with coils I built. At the time I just swapped out all 4 and kept going since we were on the road with other cars and I wasn't interested in finding exactly what was what but just in solving the issue and getting going again. I have to say that the latest points seem to have fixed that issue and I have not seen it for 2 years or more. The lower contact is in fact "spun welded" into place on the vibrator and the previous manufacturer didn't have a good handle on that technology and sometimes they just were not fastened very well and away they would fly but usually during the first 600 miles or so. I always inspect the vibrator good but it was not possible to see this fault until it happened after a bit of running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Andre, can you not remove the contact arm offn the base part, flip it over and re-rivet it?
Worth a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Ken,
I grind the riveted part of the bridge even and made a 3mm thread in the holes. Turned over the spring with the contact and put it back with two 3mm screw.
Work well no waist.

Will post photos later

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

As promised a few photos.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

I have had in my last lot of coil rebuilds, a new lower point where the vibrator contact separated from the bridge as I was setting the current. The riveting was not as it should be.
Another interesting fault was where the points looked new but didn't work - the actual tungsten point was insulated from the vibrator reed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Andre, looks good, thanks for the pictures.

Ken

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration