New transmission on older block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New transmission on older block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Is it possible to marry a 1926 transmission and pan to a 1916 motor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

I think you'd need both the crankcase and hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

I married a 26 transmission to a 1925 block. I had to file the inside of the ears a bit to clear the back of the block. Mike is right about the crankcase and hogshead.

While you are modernizing, why don't you use the 26 style rear axle with real emergency brakes too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

i just did it. searching old forum posts, there is a picture showing that the brake drum will clear the oil pan without being cut down, but i have a lathe so i chose to cut it. then, i thought why stop there, i may as well mill sideways into the back plate to make room for the head of older bolts instead of the 26-7 style long bolts, and i found that the clutch plate has varying thickness in that area. some were fine, others i had too quit because it seemed like i was taking too much material off. so gave up and used the long bolts. i then found when i put the oil pan on it was so close that even the safety wire had to be done so it was not on the outer most diameter or it would touch, and if i had not cut the brake drum down to the earlier style it would not have fit. this on the narrow nose early pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

sorry, i should also say this was to use the early hogs head too. i just wanted the replaceable lugs in the clutch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 06:14 am:

Kevin
You just need to use a narrow band on the wide drum to clear the early hogshead.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration