Setting mag ring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Setting mag ring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:56 am:

I am trying to set a rebuilt mag ring on an engine and I find I have a gap of 0.090-o.095 between the face of coils to the magnets. my question is,can I use a washer to take up some of this gap and use the mag shims to final set it? Mag shims are about .034-.035 thou.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:16 am:

I don't see why not if you have uniform thickness on the washers, they still just act as a shim. Main thing is to get between .025 and .040 and to have about .006 more on the bottom of the mag ring than the top when the engine is vertical on the stand. If you have any of the single piece original shims (crescent shaped, shim all 4 points) lying around they work great too. I'm wondering why you have that much gap though.... is something worn or been ground too much? I just set mine up using one of RV's ground mag rings and stock magnets and ended up right at .040 with just the single original shim. First time I set the trans on the engine I had uniform measurements and I had used one of the KRW tools for setting the gap so it didn't make sense... I took a red scotch bright pad and really cleaned around the alignment pins and it made a big difference, came right into tolerance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:20 am:

Sounds like you are missing the spacer, part #3272
washers are second best and work OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 06:54 am:

Jack, is this for the 15 engine? Do you have the correct mag ring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 08:53 am:

This is a 22 engine in the old 15 touring I bought.I have several of those half moon shims in there right now and a set on the new laminated ones. Something must not be seating properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:50 am:

How is the crankshaft end play! The magneto will usually need to be farther away from the coils and the coils will be shimmed out to fill the gap. Your magnets are too close to the coils. Maybe the flange on the crankshaft has been re-surfaced bringing the flywheel closer to the magnets.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Jack, what set up are you trying to marry up, as in years, mag ring? and fly wheel?
There are 3 different size magnets through the years. 9/16,5/8, and 3/4", and mag rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

I am just going through this old engine.It had some issues and in the process,I rebuilt the fly wheel and am putting in a new mag ring. I got it set today. I had a heck of a gap between mag and magnets. Ended up adding 0.073 shims and now my spaces are 0.026 at top,0,035 at bottm.I can live with that. I had never seen that much gap to start with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

I have a coil ring that has spent some time kissing the magnet hold down plates. The engine I pulled it out of had about .030 play in the crank. They had put a seal between the pulley and crankcase(?) ether to stem the flow of oil or to get rid of end play, or both!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Would anyone have a copy of the instructions that explain the operation of the KRW-1 tool that Langs sells to set that spacing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

James

The instructions will the Lang's sold copy of the KRW tool are photocopies of the Service Bulletin, December 1926. These are found in the reprint book "Service Bulletin Essentials"

PM me with your email address and I will send on some scans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Greifhahn, Elmwood Park IL on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Here is a good video from Mike Bender who is using this tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfG9Ib1udxc&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yct p6G&index=18

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration