Routine maintance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Routine maintance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

I got my short block back from the shop the other day. I had ask for the old parts to be returned and as I was looking at them I noticed that the oil hole in three of the rod caps were plugged up. Do many of you pull the caps off once a year or so to make sure these are clear? I have only had this car for about a year so I would think most of the damage was done before I got it but I will be checking the new ones in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Rod caps only have oil holes if someone drilled them later. Model T's never, (mostly), had holes in the caps. So, if one's clogged, shouldn't be a big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

What Jerry VO said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Scott in routine maintenance you will have the oil inspection pan off (tighten Rod caps and bearing caps) and you can check it then, but I wouldn't go through the whole mess of removing the pan and re-sealing it just for that. They ran fine for years and years without holes like Jerry said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

So the rod caps do NOT have oil holes? There are dippers on each cap shouldn't there be holes for the oil to get to the crank? I am not questioning anyone I am just trying to understand. If there were no dippers and no oil holes how did the crank get lubrication into those journals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

If there are dippers installed - there should be corresponding oil holes drilled. The original oil system utilized "splash" which did just that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

The rod caps did not have oil holes from the factory. However, plenty of people drilled holes and added scoops (called dippers) to the rod caps. The splashing of the oil is plenty to keep rods lubed up. The hole being drilled isn't bad, won't hurt anything, but is not a factory thing. Look at your main bearing caps - those aren't drilled and they get plent of lube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Seth,
You are correct about the main caps not being drilled. But, there is an oil hole on the top of each main to ensure lubrication. The mains don't see quite as much splash as the rods.

I don't see tightening rod and main bearing caps as routine maintenance. I double checked the rods on one of my Ts at about 10,000 miles after a rebuild and found them to still be at .002" clearance. I'm thinking that routine oil changes are all that are needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration