Advice needed for lowering fan to fit brass radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Advice needed for lowering fan to fit brass radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

My son and I are wanting to build a brass-era speedster using a running 1917 chassis. Does any have any tips/advice on lowering the fan on a 1917 engine to accommodate a brass radiator?

Thanks for your time and input.

Mike Hanson
Kingwood, Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Get the correct fan arm and then you have a shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Mike - you need one these babies:
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3967.aspx

There's a steel one, which, I would probably prefer but it's $15 more (weird, since I would have though the steel one cheaper than the brass, but, what do I know?).

Also, as a result you will need a shorter fan belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Thanks Seth.

Do I need to change the crank pulley for any reason?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

I don't think so. I can't think of anything that the pulley would interfere with. Or any reason you would specifically need a different crank pulley. You should be able to swap the fan arms and then get a belt that keeps the fan above the crank ratchet and below the underside of the radiator.

Getting the exact belt you need will be more difficult than any other part of the process! Lol, I would make a suggestion: swap the fan arm bracket and leave the fan off (but take some tools with you) and then drive the running chassis to and Autozone or Advance Auto or whatever car parts place you have near, then just get them to bring out a few belts. It's quick, easy, and most places don't car if you try the belt on and then take it off. That will let you get exactly the right belt.

You can then either run that belt, or if you're wanting a more old-school one like the vendors sell you can measure the belt that fit best and get the same or closest size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Or, once you have the fan bracket you need, mount the fan without a belt and adjust it to the height that gives good clearance to everything. Then take a piece of string and cut it so that it just wraps around the crown of both pulleys. Make sure that the string isn't in a position to let the belt saw its way into the timer case.

Measure the string and that will be very close to the belt length you need. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Remember to keep pulleys in pairs- small crank pulley=small fan pulley. Big crank pulley=big fan pulley. Or else you could run warm, or worse- throw a fan blade thru the hood or top radiator tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

You will need the riveted type fan and hub. The later aluminum hub and fan will not work, the blades have a larger outside diameter and will hit ether the pulley or upper hose or both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

I used a wide pulley and the early fan are i also had wack 1/2" off each blade but then i was using a late 20's fan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Bob, that will work as loosing that 1 inch is about the same as the early fans. One of the other things I noted trying to use the 20 fan and hub, it sits further back from the radiator then the early hub. If I had gone ahead and with that route you suggested I would have gotten one of the hubs with the longer snouts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Thanks to everyone that responded. I appreciate your input.

Mike Hanson

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration