What to check on my transmission?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What to check on my transmission?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

I'm about to put a transmission in my car. The previous owner stripped the car down for a resteration and then passed away. I got it from his daughter, and she doesn't know what was worked on and what wasn't. Before I put the transmission in I want to take it apart and make sure everything is in good working order. Aside from cracked drums, How do I tell if it is good or not? Is their anything I should do to it while it is apart?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

#1, read the holy words of the model T bible: https://www.modeltford.com/item/T1.aspx
#2, Do you have the club's transmission book? It has a lot of good advise on how to check and repair: http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/products/service-manuals

#3, The club's DVD's are not essential, but they're more entertaining than what's on TV, so I've bought them too for additional methods on how to do the job (#2-4 and 2-5) http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/products/restoration-videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Ok I'll look into that. The transmission looks pretty good to me, but their are fiber clutch disks in it. I have some original clutch discs in good shape, which should I put back in it? Is their a difference performance wise?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

There will be various opinions as always, but large fiber discs are Watts clutch discs and they can give a freer neutral - and they're less aggressive to the cast iron lugs in 09-25 brake drums. If you have a 26/27 trans with a wide brake drum the Watts isn't as needed, I would put originals back, but in my car with a 25 brake drum I have a Watts clutch to save the lugs. The Watts needs a stronger spring. It should give at least 110 lbs when compressed to 2" length, I think.

The spring supplied with Watts clutches were often made from round wire and there's a risk it may slip off the collar that holds it in the rear. Better check the fit good or get a better spring made of the correct square wire from RV Anderson who posts here at the forum. There are other things to observe like the three pins on the ring pressing on the clutch pack has to be shortened a small amount. I had to adjust my Watts clutch a couple of times after I got it running to stop it from slipping - it'll wear out real quick if allowed to slip.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration