Dependable carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dependable carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

just got my 21 going after sitting since October and have a Kingston L 4 on it now seems very touchy in adjustment after starting without starting world war three what is the most common choice for different model if I need to change carbs this is my first t and they are different

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Probably the easiest,most trouble free carb,is the NH. They don't cost an arm and a leg,easily rebuilt and last for years.YMMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

the most dependable carbs are spaghetti and potatoes. But with respect to carburetors, I like the Holly G. I use a Stromberg 97 with # 44 jets on our Speedster because the nasty cam shaft we had ground can use that much fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

I love spaghetti and potatoes! They don't make my car run worth a hill of beans however.
I like the Holley NH for simplest, cheapest, and best on average basic T carburetors. Every T varies slightly on starting procedure. Most require about a quarter to half turn extra open on the fuel mixture to start when cold. As it begins to warm up (less than a minute), turn the fuel mixture back down to its sweet spot.
After-market carburetors we can discuss till doomsday with all the variable better here or there.
Welcome to the affliction!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Harold, can't figure what kind of trouble you would have with a Kingston L-4, it's the most trouble free of any of the Kingston's. My 22 touring sat in storage for nearly 20 years, when I finally got back round to working on her. Charged up the battery, put gas, water and oil in and she fired right up.
You're trouble may be due more an improper mixture adjustment, sediment or weak fuel (fuel stabilizer additive prevents this if you plan to store the vehicle with fuel in it for long periods of time). I always run with an in tank fuel filter, you can get them from Lang's. Fits in the upper end of the sediment bulb on the bottom of the tank (helps to keep a lot of the crud out of the gas which keeps it out of your carburetor).

Now if you're looking more power a Holly is probably your best choice NH or G doesn't matter which, they both beat an L-4.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration