Was a mat supplied by Ford in the trunk of the 1925 Coupe?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Was a mat supplied by Ford in the trunk of the 1925 Coupe?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

My coupe has been in our family for 65 years. The mat you see in this picture as been in there for as long as I and my uncle can remember. Did Henry supply a mat of any time in the trunks of the 25 Coupes? This mat is very fibrous and almost appears to be made of a woven horse hair type material. It's about 3/4 of an inch thick and completely covers the entire trunk surface with about 3 inches to spare in the length. My guess is that it is not original to the car, but thought I'd ask. mat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Not original to the car. It is a common felt carpet padding of a type used from the 1920s until at least the late '70s. And it could maybe have been put into the car before your family got it (you may be able to narrow down how old it is by whether it has a synthetic or plastic webbing inside it or not, earlier pads do not have the webbing, later pads may not, but probably will have the webbing). Later pads were also often (but not always) painted on one side to help bind the fibers together. They came in a variety of thicknesses from very thin to over a half inch.
I use that stuff sometimes in speedster or truck upholstery. It works very well.
I do hope someone can give an absolute answer to whether there was a mat in the coupe originally, and what it would be made of. I have a '24 coupe, but have never seen anything that looked to be an original mat. Ford would not likely have used this material originally for cost and durability reasons. And if they had? It would have fit better.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Thanks Wayne... The pad does not have any type of webbing inside. And the outer surfaces certainly have some sort of treatment - you can almost say it was painted possibly - and that is what gives it the pink look. In any event, it serves a purpose so I'll leave it in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:56 am:

I have a 24 Coupe and having had it in the family since 1942 I never saw any remains of any kind of rear trunk pad or matting. On the other hand I wouldn't doubt people would have used something in the trunk to help makes things quieter when having something in the trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Thanks John... I figured as much but the car has been in tact as it is for so long that I hesitate to change anything. The mat does make things quieter so it will stay put.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

James I am the same way about leaving things as they were. Some time in the past my 24 had a Spencer lock steering wheel installed to replace the original.
When I restored the 24 I put an original style wheel on it and thinking about it for over a year I may restore the Spencer wheel and put it back on since its the one that was on it when I inherited it from my Grandfather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Yes, I have it bad too. In fact, I'm kind of sick with the "preservation" thing. My Grandfather restored my coupe in 1949 or so and I'm not sure, but I think he may have used that old style enamel that takes about a week to dry and he did it with a brush. Now considering the paint took so long to dry, the brush strokes flowed out pretty well and it's a fairly smooth paint job, But it is FAR from a restoration quality job. Nevertheless, I can't convince myself to sand off my Grandfathers handy work. So, I'm leaving it as-is. From 10 feet away, it looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

My TT was my grandfathers from 1946 until his death in 1965. I haven't had the problems you have. He didn't do a thing to it, including any real maintenance. Every spring he'd check the oil and add if needed, never change it. Tire air pressure was checked once a year. Plugs and coil points got a little emery cloth style cleaning annually. That was it. Water and gas were added a needed. Grease was never considered. It didn't even get washed.

So whatever I've done to the ol' truck, he didn't leave anything for me to "preserve". :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration