Does size really matter, and other HCCT questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Does size really matter, and other HCCT questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

With our excellent weather outside I have been hibernating in the basement where the temps are at least bearable. One of the projects I've been working on is a home built HCCT but I have questions. I'm using Gary Tillstrom's plans that call for a brake drum for the spark ring I have a piece of bronze that I would like to use instead but is somewhat smaller in diameter will it still work properly? Also I'm a little confused as to which side of the back plate the flange bearing goes on (see attached photo)I'm now thinking I have it wrong. Any help out there. Thanks Jimhccthccthcct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

As long as you can set the gap between the pointer and ring size should not matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 05:52 am:

Other side. You will have to find shorter bolts or grind to fit (or notch the plate). As to the ring, the smaller ring will work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Thanks Gary I thought they looked a little close. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:16 am:

Also forgot to ask which mag coil would be best, I have several including a double stack. I would probably get whichever one is best rebuilt. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Of course size matters!
Just ask a guy with a big ----

Truck,
He'll tell you that the bigger the better. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:46 am:

As far as which coil, the cheaper of course. Check with one of the engine builders near you as they may have a decent used one. I would never reuse one in an engine rebuild but in a coil tester, sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Back when I was doing reproductions of HCCT's I cast up several of the model T brake drums in aluminum which were used on the Allen testers, however, because there weren't enough call for that style tester I still have some in boxes here. These and the crank arms with the pointer that were used with this drum also cast in aluminum. The reason I made the brake drums in aluminum is that I couldn't find ones with a true diameter on the original used brake drums that I was looking at. I used an NOS original for my pattern and then turn them on the lathe so they are exact circles. I also have cast up several of the service products spark rings in aluminum with 16 sector markings although originally they were in iron and I had cast them in brass but I cast some in aluminum since they are cheaper to produce for guys doing DIY testers. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Bob thanks for the info but I'm trying to do this as lo buck as possible just to see if I can. If I need some of your parts I would certainly get in touch. Especially since I know you make a high quality part as I've seen at your spot at Hershey. I got one of your Air Ford bi-planes, get lots of compliments. Thanks Jimbi-plane

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration